Ever buy fish online?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

tetratopia

Reaction score
Has anyone had good luck with purchasing tropical fish from an online retailer? A place that doesnā€™t charge like $100 for shipping.. I have one black emperor tetra and have been trying to find him some buddies for two months. No local chain store or private business near me has them, nor are they available for these stores to even order some. I call once or twice a week and they always say their retailer is still out of stock. And what is up with the nonavailability? These fish are tank raised, from what Iā€™ve been told. I bought several at Petco in August and only one survived, he is thriving but Iā€™m sure heā€™s lonely. Plus he wonā€™t leave my female cherry barbs alone!

Attachments

• A29C99ED-1BC4-41EB-8C1B-D79A9D815851.jpeg
    A29C99ED-1BC4-41EB-8C1B-D79A9D815851.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 33
Has anyone had good luck with purchasing tropical fish from an online retailer? A place that doesnā€™t charge like $100 for shipping.. I have one black emperor tetra and have been trying to find him some buddies for two months. No local chain store or private business near me has them, nor are they available for these stores to even order some. I call once or twice a week and they always say their retailer is still out of stock. And what is up with the nonavailability? These fish are tank raised, from what Iā€™ve been told. I bought several at Petco in August and only one survived, he is thriving but Iā€™m sure heā€™s lonely. Plus he wonā€™t leave my female cherry barbs alone!
My experience has been positive, but I'm in the UK and that's no good to you Stateside.

I use Aquabid pretty regularly and will be selling on there myself, soon!

Shipping is pretty fair and quality is phenomenal!

I have bought fish online many times...have a look here: https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/current-stock/

Emperors in stock, $4/each, minimum order 6...but no idea on shipping, it depends on your zip code...I see you ARE a fellow Texan, so probably the same shipping amount it would cost me

Vendor located in Portland, OR

I have bought fish online many times...have a look here: https://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/current-stock/

Emperors in stock, $4/each, minimum order 6...but no idea on shipping, it depends on your zip code...I see you ARE a fellow Texan, so probably the same shipping amount it would cost me

Vendor located in Portland, OR
:D yes! Thatā€™s good to know, appreciate it! I have previously never considered buying fish online. Risky, expensive.. But Iā€™m getting desperate.

:D yes! Thatā€™s good to know, appreciate it! I have previously never considered buying fish online. Risky, expensive.. But Iā€™m getting desperate.
I've never had a DOA with TWS...but yes, shipping can be pricey...their stock quality is excellent though, and they are professionally packed and shipped.

I've never had a DOA with TWS...but yes, shipping can be pricey...their stock quality is excellent though, and they are professionally packed and shipped.
Well that does make a difference. I see they have loads of information on their website, explaining all their policies, which is good. I donā€™t trust ones with obscure info.

Well that does make a difference. I see they have loads of information on their website, explaining all their policies, which is good. I donā€™t trust ones with obscure info.
Another tip would be to make a phone call and talk to a member of their staff, whose name you will learn and use whilst talking. Be sure to ask about their quarantine procedures and acclimatising fish, once you have them. Also check out their policies for any Dead on Arrival fish, should the worst happen in transit. From this conversation, you should be able to get an idea about the people you're trading with.

What kinds of fish have yā€™all ordered? What did the shipping containers look like? Curious how they move these little guys around safely..

What kinds of fish have yā€™all ordered? What did the shipping containers look like? Curious how they move these little guys around safely..
The fish are bagged with extra O2, placed into a foam-lined/insulation filled box (with a cooling or heating pad, as needed), and marked "live tropical fish", "this side up"

Yes! I did twice, also snails & many plants. All from eBay sellers. i bought a pretty purple betta from Texas & 5 fancy male guppies from NY. The fish arrived safe & sound, packed in bags in a tiny Styrofoam cooler in a padded box. They included shipping in the costs. About $20 more than the value of the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back