Euthenizing a fish humanely….

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

milleau345

Reaction score
I have a 9 yr old Gourami who has a tumour. I was going to euthenize him with clove oil. Any thoughts. He was on

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 9 yr old Gourami who has a tumour. I was going to euthenize him with clove oil. Any thoughts. He was on
I don’t know if this is agreeable to others but Iv never had to kill a fish I just wait it out and after owning for 9 years I’d give it the decency to die in its own home but if I had to kill one I’d go with instant death so a heavy blunt object on the head or drop straight into boiling or freezing water but I’d really let it die in its own tank unless it’s going to effect the rest of the tank

As Guyb93 has said, I would let it at least die in his own tank as it was the place where he's been almost his all life but if he's suffering and with a lot of pain, smash its head with a hammer or something heavy. Ir you could decapitate it then pith his brain (basically destroying his brain) would be the most humane way to end a fish's suffering.

I'd only euthanize a fish if it was in obvious pain and struggling. There's nothing inhumane about ending an animals torture. Leaving it to suffer in misery is inhumane and dropping it in boiling/freezing water or anything similar is also horrendous. If the fish is so far gone that it isn't enjoying life from it's pain and discomfort and cannot continue, the most loving thing you can do is end its life. Providing the issue is irreversible and you've already tried treatment. A strong tap on the head will do the job quickly and won't prolong the fishes death

Ordinarily guy I am right with you. Even more so because my 9 year old still swims around and is eating. But a tumour? Should I leave him happily I the tank? Surely be must be in pain? Thanks for getting back.

As Guyb93 has said, I would let it at least die in his own tank as it was the place where he's been almost his all life but if he's suffering and with a lot of pain, smash its head with a hammer or something heavy. Ir you could decapitate it then pith his brain (basically destroying his brain) would be the most humane way to end a fish's suffering.

Yeh ordinarily I am with you but surely he is in pain I was afixed to put him to sleep in clove oil and vodka as the put him in the freezer I don't think I could bash his head He is my specia! lad. Would love to just leave him but surely he isi in pain

Clove oil is proven to be the most humane way approx 25 drops per litre will take most fish but in this situation there is no issue with using too much. Boiling and beating are not really fair for pet fish and studies have been done on freezing and it’s a slow painful death as ice crystals form in the body.

Clove oil is readily available from supermarkets and chemists and is quick and painless.

As to when it’s right to do it’s the same as with any other pet sometimes it’s the kindest thing to do when their quality of life is compromised beyond repair. I’ve had to put down a couple of fish I could see suffering and knew it was past the point of no return.

Wills

This is nuts. Clubbing a fish inhumane? Boiling/freezing water (new one for me but...) inhumane? Yet putting a fish to sleep then giving that extra push ain't? Any way ya do it, the fish is dead right? I dunno if I personally would boil one....but people boil live lobsters all the time. I know....PETA is all over that, and has been forever.

Personally, in most cases, I just leave them be. Nobody is there in nature to be the "are you good" police, so....nature gonna do what it gonna.do. Never know, the fish might have 9 more years in it.

Like stated about happiness in another thread, where it was so eloquently pointed out that we cannot possibly know whether our fish are happy....the same can be said for pain I spose.

This is nuts. Clubbing a fish inhumane? Boiling/freezing water (new one for me but...) inhumane? Yet putting a fish to sleep then giving that extra push ain't? Any way ya do it, the fish is dead right? I dunno if I personally would boil one....but people boil live lobsters all the time. I know....PETA is all over that, and has been forever.

Personally, in most cases, I just leave them be. Nobody is there in nature to be the "are you good" police, so....nature gonna do what it gonna.do. Never know, the fish might have 9 more years in it.

Like stated about happiness in another thread, where it was so eloquently pointed out that we cannot possibly know whether our fish are happy....the same can be said for pain I spose.
With big fish it does become clear when they get to a point it’s not going to better I had a really bad outbreak of columnaris a few years ago (I think 2011-12?) and all the fish followed the same demise so after a while I had to make the decision not to let them suffer once they got into the later stages of the disease.

In terms of what’s humane all the options however gruesome are valid - most fishermen use a club at the end of the day but I think the fact that clove oil purely takes netting them into a bucket and adding a solution that knocks them out is by far the best way which is why I recommend it.

Agree with your post, last time someone tell me to euthanised fish and they’re wrong, and after that case I never going to believe when they say there is no hope left.

Would you prefer to be bashed in the head or drift off to sleep? I use clove oil. Mix the oil in a small bottle with some tank water. Shake it well. Add only a few drops at a time until fish drifts off to sleep. Then add remaining mixture and wait for gills to quit moving. I leave fish in the mixture an additional 30 minutes to be sure they are gone.

Do unto others as you’d have them do to unto you. I’m not religious in the slightest but it’s certainly one of organised religions better ideas.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back