Euthanize starving dwarf gourami with pop eye?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lolitalamb

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new fish keeper & I need some advice. I have a dwarf gourami with one pop eye that I am almost sure that he got as a result of an altercation with another aggressive fish. (Other fish was frequently aggressive towards DG). No other fish has it; we do regular water changes; and our water quality is good. The problem is that DG has eating problems. He used to eat enormous amounts. And now he's trying so hard to eat but he just cant see. He keeps opening and closing his mouth to catch food but it floats right by him. We try separating him to feed him but we get mixed results. It's also not always possible to drop food into his mouth. I dont mind trying to medicate him but will he get his sight back? I dont want him to suffer by starving to death. What should I do? I'm considering euthanizing him with clove oil but I am open to other suggestions. Please advise.

What other fish do you have in the tank?
What are your water parameters?
What size is the tank?
Popeye in fish is most frequently caused by continual exposure to chronically poor (rather than acutely lethal) water conditions and possibly injuries to the eye. Popeye is not usually lethal disease to fish and the affected fish does not need to be euthanized.
Try doing couple of 50% water changes and see if he perks up.
Is he eating by himself or? Not eating might be caused by stress and aggressive tank mates.

Last edited:
I agree. Do a 75% water chance every day for 2 weeks. Is it in one eye or both? If it is just one ot was probably caused by a scratch or other injury

Could you please post some pictures? This will help us assess it

I agree. Do a 75% water chance every day for 2 weeks. Is it in one eye or both? If it is just one ot was probably caused by a scratch or other injury
It could have been caused by bumb into an object by an aggressive tank mate? DGs and mollies don't go together..

What other fish do you have in the tank?
What are your water parameters?
What size is the tank?
Popeye in fish is most frequently caused by continual exposure to chronically poor (rather than acutely lethal) water conditions and possibly injuries to the eye. Popeye is not usually lethal disease to fish and the affected fish does not need to be euthanized.
Try doing couple of 50% water changes and see if he perks up.
Is he eating by himself or? Not eating might be caused by stress and aggressive tank mates.
It could have been caused by bumb into an object by an aggressive tank mate? DGs and mollies don't go together..

So, it's one eye and one fish. The angel fish and the DG fight often, and I'm almost sure (like 98%) that it was because of an injury. The issue is that he isn't eating. He TRIES to DESPERATELY but he just can't see. Can water changes or medication restore his sight?

So, it's one eye and one fish. The angel fish and the DG fight often, and I'm almost sure (like 98%) that it was because of an injury. The issue is that he isn't eating. He TRIES to DESPERATELY but he just can't see. Can water changes or medication restore his sight?
They might be able to. Keep the water as clean as possible. Do the daily water changes. You can add salt as well. @Colin_T might be able to give better advice as well

Give away the angel fish, I would not recommend them as community fish.
What size is the tank?
Don't use meds for this as there is a more natural way of healing, like aquarium salt as mentioned above and water changes.
@Colin_T

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back