Euthanisation in SW Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Well, in FW, euthanisation is done when a fish is ill beyond cure, and there is nothing else to be done. Does this never happen in SW tanks?

P.T.

No it doesn't. We take better care of our tanks.. :rofl:

In truth, when things are right, Marine fish are incredibly healthy.
But if something is wrong, it happens in a hurry. I have woke in the morning to find a fish simply gone.... :dunno:

GL

GL is right, if a fish does weaken then its usually finishe doff real fast by the cleanup crew. this means a matter of a couple of hours.

Marine fish are (as GL has mentioned) incredibly healthy and quite hardy to be honest. the main trouble with them is their inability to ajust well to changing water conditions. Its vital to keep water perameters as stable a spossible so the fish do not have to make major adjustments to compensate for any sudden changes.

So that means you guys take excellent care of them, but when it goes wrong they die in 5 seconds? :rofl:

In other words, should something go wrong there is not enough time to euthanise them because they die real quick? But if that's the case, how would you treat them for diseases?

P.T.

In my (thankfully fairly limted) experience, when a fish is seriously ill it goes to the back of the rocks and hides, where you havnt got a hope of getting it out.

Yep thats right. Reef tanks are not like freshwater tanks. most of the time its covered with liverock and delicate life living all over it. Pods spongges, squirt, feather duster worms etc. A sick fish will 99% of the time head for shelter to either recover or die. Removing rockr whilst the fish is still alive is more dangerous to the rest of the tank than the sick fish.. all the rock that have grown life under them (shade loving) and life on top(light loving) will be in danger as its practically impssible to get all the rocks back to where they were before (Trust me i have spent countless hours trying
swear1.gif

If you move rocks whilst the fish is still alive then it simply tries to swim deeper for more shelter and then you ave to remove more rocks (not to mention the damage to corals and especially hard corals),

If the fish is dead then its wise to remove it but this is easier as you can just move the rock in the local area for minimalstress..

Also, i strongly beleive that any fish still breathing is savable. When i had my 40 gallon reef running i lost nearly all the fish in my tank due to my inexperience and poor water quality. i had 2 fish left, a coral beauty and a bicolour angel. both looked like they were minutes from death, on theier sids, breathing rapidly, unable to swim properly. Basically they looked gonners. I didnt give up, i changed 30 gallons immediately, added a stress reducing treatment and waitied. THe next morning the fosh were bothi swimming around as if nothing had happened. Agreed this was not a disease but more of poor water management but nevertheless iy proved to me that a person should never give up on fish or any other inhabitant in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back