Euthanasing large goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

And the theory is that freezing essentially does the same but apparently that requires a reference whereas clove oil does not?
Clove oil is used in veterinarian surgery to anaesthetize fishes that wake up after anaesthesia.

Would freezing a fish be humane?
Everything I have read says 'NO', freezing is not humane as it results in a slow lingering death.
We can't know freezing to death is painless to fish anymore than we know being forced to hold their breath until they die in clove oil.
Actually as another member mentioned, clove oil acts as an anesthetic so it's quite like putting an animal to sleep.
It can be humane, in fact, to strike the fish in the head or fling against a hard surface to cause instant death...but it's not quite for the faint at heart.

i once read freezing to death is painless for humans.
I've been partway down that road, and it isn't painful, but I wouldn't call it comfortable either. Not sure how applicable our experience is to a cold blooded animal, though.

Can we please stop fighting. I'm overwhelmed with sadness. I don't want to cause any problems here as well.

Yes, have done many, many water changes. This has been going on for months. I should have euthanased a long time ago.

There is no way I would consider freezing. But please, no fighting on the subject.

Thank you to everyone for your help and support.

Can we please stop fighting. I'm overwhelmed with sadness. I don't want to cause any problems here as well.

Yes, have done many, many water changes. This has been going on for months. I should have euthanased a long time ago.

There is no way I would consider freezing. But please, no fighting on the subject.

Sorry about that. I don't think anyone is trying to fight, and I don't think anyone's trying to be insensitive to your sadness, and you certainly are not causing any problems here. There are different opinions about these things. In the end, you have to make the best decision you can and do what you think is best. We are very sorry for your loss.

There is none fight here but kind thoughts.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back