Euthanasing large goldfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tabasco

Reaction score
I have two 12 year old goldfish that have been unwell for a few months. I've been treating them with a variety of meds from a very reputable aquarium shop, a shop that's been in business for at least 25 years, not a pet shop or anything. The fish have never shown any sign of improvement.

The two goldfish have been together for the whole 12 years. They lie side by side on the bottom of the tank. It is heartbreaking. I don't think they will ever improve. I have a feeling whatever was initially wrong with them (they got sick at the same time) has done permanent damage to major organs. I think it's time for them to go. I really can't see them coming back from this.

I've euthanised betta's before using clove oil but these fish are around 8 inches long. I don't want to drag them out of the tank and put them in buckets. I can't. I won't put them through that.

My question is, if I drop the water level right down in the tank what ml per litre clove oil would I use? Everything I've read says about 0.4 ml per litre for small fish. I can't find anything about large fish in 100 litres of water.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry to hear that your fish that you've had so long are suffering.
What I would do......
I wouldn't put clove oil into an aquarium... I'd move some water and fish into a separate container or bowl. Add clove oil and warm water (about 2-5ml per two ounces of warm water) in an empty water bottle or container and shake or mix well. Add the clove oil/water mixture slowly to the container with the fish mixing slightly as you go. The fish will become lethargic as they are anesthetized. Slowly add more clove oil mixture until the fish stop breathing. Leave fish for about 1 hour before disposing of them.
Also: Euthanizing fish with clove oil
Again, sorry for your loss :(

I'm sorry to hear that, too. If you think there is any chance of saving them, tell us more about what's going on and we'd be happy to try to help. Otherwise the advice above is good.

Have you checked the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
Are they in a pond or tank?
How often do you do water changes and gravel clean the substrate?
Have you cleaned the filter recently?

For both fish to get sick with the same symptoms at the same time, it would suggest something in the water and not a disease. It could be a disease if you introduced a new fish within 2 weeks of this occurring, but if no new fish have been added, it's probably something in the water and some big water changes might help.

Hey :)
This is how I euthanize. A very sad moment.
Dosage given for fish up to 8 cm/3 inches.

What is needed :

- a container for 1.5 litres of water (to be adapted to fish size) with lid
- a small vial with a cap,
- a net,
- clove oil.

1) Fill the container with water from the aquarium, catch the fish and put it in.

2) Pour 5 drops of clove oil into the vial, add very hot water to dilute oil, shake hard and slowly pour into the fish's container and lid it.
After 5-6 minutes fish will fall asleep.

3) After this time, put 20 drops of clove oil in the vial, fill it with very hot water, shake it hard and pour it into the fish's container all at once.4) After about 15 minutes, if gills do not move at all, the fish has passed away.

If gills still move, repeat the oil/water mixture until the fish dies.

Good luck.

Thank you all for your support.

Yes, the water is checked regularly at the aquarium store. I don't know the numbers but they always say it is "fine" or "perfect". I haven't ever introduced new fish, it's always been just the two of them for 12 years but I do put new plants in every three weeks or so. I rinse the plants well and quarantine the plants for 4 or 5 days in buckets then rinse well again and put them in the tank when doing a water change so they have the Prime.

I don't think these guys are coming back. I know these fish. I love these fish so much. They look so sad just lying there at the bottom side by side. That's not the fish I have known all these years who spot you walk into the room and rush to the "feeding corner" of the tank and try to splash you with their tales and swim non-stop and are active, alert and responsive. They look like two dying fish now.

I really don't want to take them out of the tank. I have 80 mls, yep 8 bottles, of clove oil (100% oil). Because they are large fish, about 8 inch, is it a higher dose rate than for small fish? 80 mls introduced slowly into 100 litres (I'll drop the tank water level down low to 100 litres), will that be enough? I'm so scared it won't be enough.

The best, respectful and only way to be sure fish has been euthanised is to proceed the way I told you.
You will overcome your sadness. Been there done that.

I'm sorry to hear that your fish that you've had so long are suffering.
What I would do......
I wouldn't put clove oil into an aquarium... I'd move some water and fish into a separate container or bowl. Add clove oil and warm water (about 2-5ml per two ounces of warm water) in an empty water bottle or container and shake or mix well. Add the clove oil/water mixture slowly to the container with the fish mixing slightly as you go. The fish will become lethargic as they are anesthetized. Slowly add more clove oil mixture until the fish stop breathing. Leave fish for about 1 hour before disposing of them.
Also: Euthanizing fish with clove oil
Again, sorry for your loss :(
Would freezing a fish be humane?

anymore than we know being forced to hold their breath until they die in clove oil.
They do not hold their breath in clove oil. They first sleep then the 2nd dose of clove oil make breath slow down progressively and stop.

And the theory is that freezing essentially does the same but apparently that requires a reference whereas clove oil does not?

i once read freezing to death is painless for humans. Never had to put down a fish, will google should the need arise. I‘m not going to remember what was suggested here.
It's not painless for us or any animal. However, goldfish and other cold water fish's metabolism slows down as the water temperature slows down and when it freezes, they are pretty much dormant. This doesn't mean the fish don't feel anything, they might, but freezing cold water fish in water, is probably less stressful to the fish compared to freezing tropical fishes.

For the OP, have you done a few water changes on the pond/ tank to make sure they aren't being poisoned by something that has gotten into the water?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back