Euthanasia for fishes

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

aernympha

Fish Herder
Reaction score
unfortually i can't find anywhere which will take my fry as all the place i go to have a large supllie of better looking mollies.........what iam i going to d i don't want my tank getting over run well it is kinda ta the mo ......... :-( :no: i don't no if euthnaisa is the right thing to do??? if so i was reading what dragonslair worte and he says that cutting the head off and then putting somthing sharp into its brain will kill it without pain....... :crazy: i don't wanna kill them but what esle am i gunna do i don't want them and nowsoem a are getitng older they are wanting to mate with other adults and they are very ugly!!! also they are teaming up and biting adult females..... :crazy:

dunno what t do :sad: :-(

First of all, no, it's not cruel. Part of how they get all those very nice mollies is by culling out (killing) ugly and deformed ones. And better now then later.

If you want a good use for them though, ask around, put a notice in the trading section of this website, let people know you are giving them away free. I would take them myself in a second if I lived near you, a nice snack for my Jag cichlid.

if you're just killing the fish because you don't know what to do with them, that's not euthanasia. euthanasia is when you kill a fish that's suffering or is terminally ill and there's no hope for it. i don't want to get into a debate, but i still think that killing a fish for no reason is not right. i'm sure you can find someone who will take them or at least use them as feeder fish. but that's just me, i know i couldn't bring myself to kill a fish

have you tried giving them to an lfs to use as feeders? or tried giving them away to friends/neighbors/coworkers (or family members coworkers)? or begged for another fish tank.... :lol: ?

well i have decided that i will ask my lfs to see what the say and if they don't want to sell them then i will ask if they want them to feed some of there bigger fish :D :thumbs: thats what i will do!!! :thumbs:

that's a good decision

btw, are you really 99 years old? :lol:

This is a very interesting item ! I'm rather flabbergasted at some of the comments,
it seems that some people are not prepared to kill fish ( a good whack over the head is humane) but are quite prepared to feed them to bigger fish.
If I was surplus to requirements Id rather have a whack on the head ,than be chased around a cage by a man eating tigers :(

how do you know that good whack over the head is humane? and i'm not even talking about a humane way to kill, which is a contradiction in itself. but what is the point of killing a fish for absolutely no reason other than that you don't want it. isn't it better to have the fish serve some kind of a purpose like feed other fish. at least that's how it is in nature

Humane when done properly (To minimize pain for the fish)

I have never done it though, as I cant bring myself to hit my fish's head. :'(

thechilidaddict is right, when a preditor is hungry there is no suffering in a fish. it takes my father in laws oscars about 0.1 second to catch a feeder that is put in thier tank. feeding a fish to another is quite different that killing it because you are bored with it. if the oscar wasnt eating, it would be slowly starving to death. that would be more inhumaine than anything. its the circle of life my friend :nod: :thumbs: :fun:

Alien_spawn said:
I personally find it to hard to use euthanasia on fish.
ME TO

but a dont kill em, give em to ur lfs (or sell them) or give it to one of these nice ppl on the forum :) gl

Most reactions

Back