Eucalyptus Wood

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

KeithV

Reaction score
I found a beautifull piece of wood...but its a twig from a Eucalyptus tree. (small)

The wood is naturaly cured dry, but not rotten.

Steps being taken:

I boiled it for 2 hours last night after I removed the bark.

Let it dry...sanded it...now I am soaking it all day while I'm at work.

Then repeat these steps again this evening.

Any thought?

my only worry would be the gum resin leaching out of it but if you can fix that........

regards scot :)

I was thinking about this today. I quite often see pieces of Eucalypt that Id love to store for that "future tank". Anyone know if I can start hording pieces of wood? :blink:

You should put driftwood in that is already naturally cured and found only in rivers. There is a special process that the river takes to turn the wood into a driftwood state which makes it very expensive to purchase sometimes. If you got some room in the top of your tank, a few chutes of live bamboo couldn't hurt.

I found a beautifull piece of wood...but its a twig from a Eucalyptus tree. (small)

The wood is naturaly cured dry, but not rotten.

Steps being taken:

I boiled it for 2 hours last night after I removed the bark.

Let it dry...sanded it...now I am soaking it all day while I'm at work.

Then repeat these steps again this evening.

Any thought?

G'day keithV,
I've been looking into eucalyptus as being potentially toxic to fish.
My neighbour has such a tree which drops lots of leaves into my goldfish pond (no fish in it yet).
So far I've not found any info specifically naming it as a hazard but there are many long lists available (mainly on koi websites) of similar plants and trees which do kill fish.
The euc' has almost no natural pests (termites, aphids etc) as its oils kill 'em all. They also kill stuff in the soil around them...
Please do keep us informed of the results!
If anybody else has any tips in this regard, please do add a post.
Thanks, Roth.

Most reactions

Back