Established tank filter water

FishionistaB

Reaction score
I know this is a long shot but. Iā€™m wanting some established fish tank filter water to help my cycle. Iā€™m located in St. Louis, MO. Anyone live close? Anyone know where I can get some? Local fish store was trying to sell it and I was somewhat off put by that considering Iā€™ve spent a good chunk of money with them. Ideally looking for someone close I can come squeeze your filter into a bag or something

Definitely a long shot... you can try to get some from your LFS. Have you looked to see if there is an aquarium club near by? They usually will give you some for free. That being said, LFS is probably your best choice.

Are you going to have a problem in terms of heat though deteriorating on the homeward journey, unless you have heat packs of course?
Genuine query as to whether this would work anyway?

Reactions: kwi
Are you going to have a problem in terms of heat though deteriorating on the homeward journey, unless you have heat packs of course?
Genuine query as to whether this would work anyway?
Iā€™ve heard it will work, i think the bacteria just slows down but doesnā€™t die unless itā€™s super duper cold. Iā€™m hoping for someone local-ish so thinking that may help.

It's not the water you need but the media, the bacteria isn't found free swimming but attached to surfaces.
Yes, ideally Iā€™d have someone squeeze their filter into a bag for me. One of the eheim filtration systems Iā€™m using is a used filter from a previous tank. I think thatā€™s honestly why I already had nitrates 7 days in. Just wanting to kick start things a bit more

Definitely a long shot... you can try to get some from your LFS. Have you looked to see if there is an aquarium club near by? They usually will give you some for free. That being said, LFS is probably your best choice.
It looks like the only club around my area is saltwater :(

That is not very wise to add SW bb to FW. (Unless you are setting up a brackish aquarium.

Have you called your LFS and asked?

Oh, didnā€™t catch that. Thatā€™s unfortunate that they sell it, mine doesnā€™t...

If thatā€™s the only way you will cycle your tank quickly, I would go ahead and do It.

Oh, didnā€™t catch that. Thatā€™s unfortunate that they sell it, mine doesnā€™t...

If thatā€™s the only way you will cycle your tank quickly, I would go ahead and do It.
I may try other stores in the area. The one I tried was always my favorite growing up. But now I realize a lot of their stuff is overpriced in general. Thereā€™s a few others but was seeing if I could get lucky finding a needle in a haystack here

Tetra SafeStart is meant to be pretty good as far as bottled bacteria go, as long as the bottle was stored properly and hasn't been sitting dusty on a shelf for months, or exposed to the wrong conditions.

I would never use media or water (especially if they try to sell used tank water to start a cycle, since the bacteria don't live in the water) from a store precisely because of what Sean says, you're way more likely to be adding some parasite or disease to your tank. I'd use established media from a friend or local hobbyist if I could trust that their tank was disease free and they followed quarantine practices.

So I'd try the bottled bacteria, or go with a planted cycle if you're getting impatient for it cycle already!

Ended up going with this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 225

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back