Epsom Salt In The Uk.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

awilson360

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My Betta is still constipated, at least that's what I think is wrong with him. I would like to know where in the UK you can buy Epsom Salts. Apparently you need a prescription for Pharmacys.

Thanks,
AW

A quick google brought up lots of places online.

For instace Amazon

Have you tried him on peas, they are supposed to help.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A quick google brought up lots of places online.

For instace Amazon

Have you tried him on peas, they are supposed to help.

Thanks but I don't want to buy online. I need the salt literally now. Don't know if the Betta will be alive in 4 days time whilst waiting for delivery...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry I didn't realise it was that urgent!

Where in the UK are you?

It can't be prescription only or you wouldn't be able to get it online. Any of the larger chemist chains will probably sell it.

Have you tried the peas? Get a frozen pea and blanch it in boiling water. Remove the "skin" off the pea and squash the inside and feed it to the Betta.

Sorry I didn't realise it was that urgent!

Where in the UK are you?

It can't be prescription only or you wouldn't be able to get it online. Any of the larger chemist chains will probably sell it.

Have you tried the peas? Get a frozen pea and blanch it in boiling water. Remove the "skin" off the pea and squash the inside and feed it to the Betta.

Yer I've tried peas. Unfortunately he has now lost his appetite so it's pointless. I've literally sat there for hours trying to get him to eat this little pea but he has only been coming up for air. I think it's now in the very severe stages of Constipation, that's why I am now resorting to Epsom Salt.

AW

where about are you i have loads of the stuff,

jagz

Hi Jagz,

Thanks for the offer but you aren't probably anywhere close, I quite literally live in the middle of nowhere, Lowestoft in Suffolk :S

Going in town today to find some! Wish me luck.

AW

no prescription needed. it whould be in the section where they sell rubs and such for sore muscles. people use it as an additive to bath water for sore muscles/achy feet. usually sold in a large carton for about $3. and yes-magnesium sulfate. just make sure it has no perfumes (often sold as "bath salts" scented with lavender etc. should be really easy to find. ask an employee of the store.
1 teaspoon/5 gal if adding to the tank. 1 teaspoon/gal if using as a dip/bath for up to 30 mins up to 2 times a day.
good luck. it should help greatly with the constipation.
cheers

no prescription needed. it whould be in the section where they sell rubs and such for sore muscles. people use it as an additive to bath water for sore muscles/achy feet. usually sold in a large carton for about $3. and yes-magnesium sulfate. just make sure it has no perfumes (often sold as "bath salts" scented with lavender etc. should be really easy to find. ask an employee of the store.
1 teaspoon/5 gal if adding to the tank. 1 teaspoon/gal if using as a dip/bath for up to 30 mins up to 2 times a day.
good luck. it should help greatly with the constipation.
cheers

Well I looked all over town for the Epsom Salt. The Pharmacy in Boots didn't sell it and Superdrug had already sold the last one. Found a 200g pot of it at my local Chemist though so I made him a bath for 15 minutes and he isn't showing any signs of improvement. Will do it one more time a little later on today. Hopefully he will poo!

AW

could take a few dips to get him to go. but every time you do one, it is drawing fluids out of his abdomen and taking pressure of the intestines allowing them to function properly. once some of the swelling has cone down-try peas again. and fast for 2 days after-all the while giving him dips each day.
flaring him with a mirror may also stimulate him to poo. my boys always start going when i do this.
best of luck!
cheers

I have had this problem with some of my bettas.

If the betta has lost his appetite I don't think it is constipation.

I would start to think it might be an internal bacterial infection.

If the betta is a tank on his own you could try adding the epsom salt directly to the tank. Be careful though if you search online for measurements, US gallons are different to ours.

UK gals are larger so US measurements (which ive given) would be fine to use. not if it were the other way around.
good luck with the betta.
cheers

Unfortunately my Betta passed away sometime last night. He is now buried in the back garden :(

I can't help but think that it was some kind of internal bacterial infection.

Thanks for you help.
AW

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back