Epiplatys dageti

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fish48

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I recently had a problem trying to spawn this easy to keep fish Epiplatys dageti
with not getting much success except for a few eggs once in a while I decided to replace the male with another one.
in the last 5 days they have had over 160 eggs and have had as many as 60 eggs in a single day
IMG_4417.JPG
so

Very nice. Any other killifish species you're working with?

That's a great fish. Epiplatys are overlooked in the hobby.

Plus you've discovered how prolific they can be.

Thats an unusual fish. You should enter that interesting species in our Fish of the Month contest which is now accepting entries. Be sure to read rules before entering.

Thats an unusual fish. You should enter that interesting species in our Fish of the Month contest which is now accepting entries. Be sure to read rules before entering.
I thought about putting some of my own killies in (I wish I had dageti) , but there is no way I could get a decent shot with a sticker on the glass. They are too aware of changes in their surroundings. Everything in their natural world tries to eat them, and they'd take a while to get used to the paper.

The pic with note does not have to be high quality… it just should show fish even if not good resolution
Then post a second clear pic of fish without note. That will be the pic in the poll.

Last edited:
I used to have more dageti than any sane person should. They eat bbs to start - they are not in need of microfoods.

I used to have more dageti than any sane person should. They eat bbs to start - they are not in need of microfoods.
yes I know that they can take brine shrimp straight away I don't have bbs available so they are in need of micro foods
it's also a matter of choice what foods we feed our fish, I have bread many types of fish and have always feed micro foods to the Fry

yes I know that they can take brine shrimp straight away I don't have bbs available so they are in need of micro foods
it's also a matter of choice what foods we feed our fish, I have bread many types of fish and have always feed micro foods to the Fry
I agree wholeheartedly with this. My lineatus can take BBS from the start too but what appears to happen is that some fry hatch out bigger and get a bigger jump on growth than their smaller siblings. By feeding micro worms and vinegar eels to start I get more fry as the larger ones don’t thin the herd as much. Just an unscientific observation.

They are surface feeders, with those upturned mouths. Powdered krill coral food or decapsulated artemia will go down really well. Cricket powder or even pulverized bug bites can work too. The first three are better than the bites though, because you don't want sinking food with dageti.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back