Enticing A Shy Plec Out Of Hiding.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

VaegaVic

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I bought a gibbiceps plec a few weeks ago.
Currently he is in a 64L tank, with a 6-8ft tank on the way next year.

Now my problem is that I never see him!
I work full time, there's no plants in the tank so a regular photo period (using a timer) is not an option. Which I think could be part of the problem.

When I get in at 9pm, I turn the tank lights on, he's sitting on the rocks, stays for 30 seconds (I assume out of shock) and then buggers off, back into his plants.

At first I've thought it was just a settling in period, but now, well, let's just say I would actually like to see him for a change.

Any ideas chaps and chap'eses?

every fish is different and plecs are a pain in the backside when it comes to activity. My clown plec is out all hours of the day, my friend is buying a plec and his might never show his face, in a 64L he may not feel safe enough as that is a relatively small tank so he might feel like hiding is the best option. Once he gets into a big tank he'll most likely become more active. You need to let him become comfortable in his own time.

Plonk a bit of cucumber in the foreground of the tank. I'm sure you'll be able to catch him having a good old time munching on it. :D

every fish is different and plecs are a pain in the backside when it comes to activity. My clown plec is out all hours of the day, my friend is buying a plec and his might never show his face, in a 64L he may not feel safe enough as that is a relatively small tank so he might feel like hiding is the best option. Once he gets into a big tank he'll most likely become more active. You need to let him become comfortable in his own time.

I was thinking something along these lines. He has got many hidey places in the tank, pretty much 2/3rds of the tank is just a hiding place.

Plonk a bit of cucumber in the foreground of the tank. I'm sure you'll be able to catch him having a good old time munching on it. :D

Tried that in the first 2 weeks, snails got to it first.

Possibly feed him an algae wafer when you get in then? Or simply let be until you get your larger tank.

he'll come out eventually

I;bve found plecs often take a good while before they become less shy, thing is they are shy by nature, if you switch your lights on after dark my plecs come out everywhere but daytime they are not interested

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back