Entertaining/Energetic Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Freddy Robins

Reaction score
Hey all I've been keeping fish for about 2 years now and would say I'm avid in the hobby. I started with a 20 gallon, and have worked my way up to a 55, and after an outbreak in my tank about 2 months ago I can now confidently say it has been irradicated. I am looking to restock my tank, which is now left with 3 emperor tetras and a handful of Amano shrimp, and would like an entertaining or energetic fish/fishes to put in the tank. Something that either has some personality or zooms around the tank would be cool. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

I would increase you emperor tetras to about 7-8
As for active fish, be sure you dont get ones that are too active they will stress the calm ones. If you have sand you could get some kuhli loaches or corydoras. They have cool personalities and are very fun to watch. They both need to be in groups of at least 5-6, the more there are the more fun they are to watch

I would get some rosy barbs. I have 4 neon rosy barbs in my 36 gallon, with pearl gourami, and Corydoras. They just zoom all over and never stop.

Id vote for 6-8 corydoras (pick a species) and perhaps a bolivian ram...

Would GBR's work? I was looking at some different rams and really like the look of them
Not in hard water they wouldnt. Rams require soft water. If one has hard water one wants to stick with live bearers like mollies platys guppys. All tetras RAMs and S. American cichlids are soft water fish including corydoras as well.

Not in hard water they wouldnt. Rams require soft water. If one has hard water one wants to stick with live bearers like mollies platys guppys. All tetras RAMs and S. American cichlids are soft water fish including corydoras as well.
You could also do rift lake cichlids

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

I have 3 Dojo Loaches and 3 Kubuiti and I thing they are the funniest fish I've ever seen. One of my Dojo's is nearly 12" long - way too long for this tank (and what they predicted) but he plays hard and sleeps hard and doesn't seem to mind it. The rest of my fish - tetra's and gourami and such are large and small and all are slow moving fish - Personally I think they are entertained by them. There certainly is no fighting. Plus the loach take long naps to give everybody a break.

would like an entertaining or energetic fish/fishes to put in the tank. Something that either has some personality or zooms around the tank would be cool.
Barbs would be a perfect fit here :)
Colourful, active, and bags of personality :fish:

Rainbowfish are a shout too. Some of them at least tolerate hard water I think, plus they're pretty active and shoal nicely. Melanotaenia Praecox is a dwarf species, with a plethora of larger colourful species. There's also Gudgeons, Pseudomugil sp. and Hypseleostris Compressa.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back