Enough filtration?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tanker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,
The tank setup below came in a kit from my lfs. I went to another one today and got talking with the fish man there. He told me that the fluval 2 plus filter was not enough for the tank. Said i should get an undergravel filter, and this would sort my tank out properly. Was he right, or trying to sell me things? Seems a bit much, especially since the whole thing is running now. The reason this came up was that the cycling has taken over 2 weeks - i thought it took much longer than that anyway!
If it isn't enough, is there an easier way to increase things? (and not too expensive)

it depends on the tank i dont know if people mix fluvals and under gravels i say you should be able to manage most 2 foot tanks with one fluval two so long as you dont over stock ure tank.

The Fluval 2 plus is a little small for that tank (they are rated for 24 US gals) ...I wouldn't bother going for the UGF, rather I would buy another Fluval 2 plus and mount it on the other side of the tank

D'oh - more expense!

Why do they sell box sets with equipment that isn't good enough? My fault as well for not researching enough. :stupid:

well the setups do normally save money on equiptment but they are normally put together by people who are tyrying to get rid of the stuff that dont sell too good thats why they put in an under gravel. they will work but will kinda need a total tank over haul each year. and it all depends on how many fish you have in the tank how good ure filter needs to be.

cheaper to get a fluval 3 i think

I was thinkin as you already has a Fluval 2 getting another one will make buying replacement filters easier and 2 Fluval 2's should be more than enough for a 24 gal UK

i i thaught he was thinking about getting an undergravel and two fluvals where sugested well yes if he has one the two would be more than enough one would handle a less than fully stocked tank tho i think. two would allow more fish but an undergravel is hard to clean but a cheap alternative. i use a fluval two in one of my tanks 2foot by 20 inches by 15 inches and it does fine or did ive taken that tank down temporarily to be moved to another place.

So the consensus is to get another fluval 2 plus. Wouldn't it be ok with a fluval 1 to (make up the remainder of the volume) or similar sized, or doesn't it work like that?

Do i just put the other filter in and run as normal?

While i'm in asking mode, I was reading an old post, and read that the air increaser thingy on top if the fluval spout should be used - should it be pushing out smooth water or bubbly (think i may have asked before - sorry if i have), the manual just says it can be adjusted, but not what to.

So the consensus is to get another fluval 2 plus. Wouldn't it be ok with a fluval 1 to (make up the remainder of the volume) or similar sized, or doesn't it work like that?
A Fluval 1 would work as well, any extra filtration helps, I use Fluval 2 as an extra filter in my 35 gal tank to assist the HOB Aquaclear 200 and it works beautifully.

Do i just put the other filter in and run as normal?

Yup

air increaser thingy on top if the fluval spout should be used - should it be pushing out smooth water or bubbly

If you need more oxygen in the water I would set it so that the flow disturbs the surface area, if you don't need more qxygen then a smooth flow underwater is ok.

Thanks! The filter setting has been bugging me for a while now. :)

S'pose i'd better get saving again!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back