England V Trin & Tob

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Not the most convincing of victories. But you could see that Lennon and Rooney made a significant impact after coming on. The midfield had more penetration, more pace, and a lot more purpose.

Lamps did pretty poorly, hatful of chances missed. Super goal by Gerrard though.

P.T.

Not the most convincing of victories. But you could see that Lennon and Rooney made a significant impact after coming on. The midfield had more penetration, more pace, and a lot more purpose.

Lamps did pretty poorly, hatful of chances missed. Super goal by Gerrard though.

P.T.

Nah i disagree ! Trinidad and Tobago were and are an under estimated team they played very very well they did there job by closing us down every time we got in there danger area we deserved that win i though because it was very frustrating for us and i don't think Rooney made much of an impact i think it was Aaron Lennon who brought pace to the game no offence on Rooneys part i think he's great just don't think he was the reason we won his work rate was at a similar level to Owen's.

But well done England !!!

lampard ddid great i think he deserved a goal, terry played v. well too agree with gerrards goal being spectacular

Not looking foward to Sweeden or the knockout stages, only scoring near the end when a team is getting tired.....

Not looking foward to Sweeden or the knockout stages, only scoring near the end when a team is getting tired.....

lennon didnt do much for me, he needs to work on his crossing he beats defenders so easily but then screws up the cross, he has the ability to be great but unfortunatly i would rather a slow beckham than a fast lennon purely because of crossing,

crouch played terrible.

downing did better in 15 mins than cole did whole match

rooney looked average(but it was his first game back)

Terry man of match for me a good consistant game

Rooney didn't actually do much himself, but you could feel that the morale of the team was given a boost for a bit. For about 10 minutes after he came on, England played a lot better. Aaron Lennon has super pace and dribbling, but i agree that his crossing definitely needs a lot of work

As for Downing, i'm not impressed by him at all. He doesn't do very much, at least not so far, but as a player who keeps coming on at the end of games, i don't blame him. Same goes for Owen Hargreaves last time i guess, he could never show his full talent cause he was always a late substitute.

P.T.

the whole we need rooney thing is pants and is doing my head in hes a good player yes but hes not the best and not our only player it bugs me people saying "unless rooney gets back in shape england havent got a hope" it really really really really annoys me

We're never convincing in the group stages of the World CUp so I'm not worried yet.
What is most worrying is Michael Owen's last 2 performances.
Looks like it should be Crouch & Rooney against Sweden but I hope we lose as it should give us an easier path to the final!

Crouch is just one long streaky gormless git but who else do we have?
Trouble is that he is too tall and gangly to maneuver around the goal area.

The subs of Rooney and Lennon were great and lifted the spirits of the team and of the country.
Rooney of course is still not fit but a non fit Rooney is better than none at all.

The game last saturday and the first hour yesterday were testement to that.

What the team needs is inspiration from someone and Rooney fits that role perfectly,who else can,i cant see anyone?

Anyway,good win. :)

the whole we need rooney thing is pants and is doing my head in hes a good player yes but hes not the best and not our only player it bugs me people saying "unless rooney gets back in shape england havent got a hope" it really really really really annoys me
unless rooney gets back in shape england havent got a hope ;)

Looks like it should be Crouch & Rooney against Sweden but I hope we lose as it should give us an easier path to the final!
You'd prefer to meet Ecuador, who haven't lost a goal yet (but will when they meet Germany) and beat Brazil and Argentina in their qualifying group? :rolleyes:

I thought it was dreadful to watch ... again :crazy: but we won :good: it's always said the mark of champions is the ability to win when you are playing poorly and we have so far. I think England are playing so poorly because nobody is really attacking against them though, they are doing what is needed and no more.

I think Lampard is missing waaaaaaaay to many chances and having him in the team means that Gerrard is not allowed to get forward so much.

I'm of the opinion that in a 4 man midfield, you can't effectively play Lampard & Gerrard together, they are too similar and the best players do not make the best TEAM. We should just pick one and play him with a holding midfieder along side like they both have at their clubs it was the same with Gazza, he needed Ince along side :nod: to allow a talented attacking midfielder to go forward, you need a spoiler to cover for him and I'm not convinced either Lampard or Gerrard are suitable to do it as they both want to bomb forward.

On the basis of current form I'd drop Lampard for the Sweden game and play Carrick holding along side Gerrard. I'd also start with Owen despite him being poor so far, he usually takes 5 or 6 games to get sharp, so he needs as much time on the pitch as possible, I'd be tempted to start with Rooney for the same reason. I don't think Sven will do it, but I'd drop Beckham and play Lennon from the start, against Sweden to give him more experience. Unless he goes for the 4 - 5 - 1 formation, when Lampard & Gerrard could both get forward (but not with Carragher in the holding role), but which loan striker would he use? Rooney could do it if he's fit :yes:

The thing is we don't need to win the game, so we can give players a run out :nod: Sweden can't afford to lose the game because if Paraguay win against T&T they could be knocked out, so I think they'll be happy with another 0:0 which would see them through, if they decide they need to win, they will leave themselves open and we could batter them.

Whilst Rooney didn't particulary do anything, his prescence alone scares opposition defenders and it raises the spirits of his own team mates, you could see they rest of the team were lifted by his prescence.

Crouch is playing poorly, but I think Walcott is still injured, so we don't have a choice at the moment.

I'm not sure whether I'd prefer Germany or Equador in the next round though, Equador are playing better football and Germany look as poor as we have, but that worries me, when they need to step it up they could do and they have home advantage AND they will want to ram the 5:1 back down our throats :crazy: but perhaps better to meet them early on before they really get going :dunno:

Arfie

The thing is we don't need to win the game, so we can give players a run out :nod: Sweden can't afford to lose the game because if Paraguay win against T&T they could be knocked out, so I think they'll be happy with another 0:0 which would see them through, if they decide they need to win, they will leave themselves open and we could batter them.

Arfie

That's not true I'm afraid. Paraguay are already out.
If T&T win big against Paraguay and Sweden lose, then Sweden go out.

Very unlikely though so England & Sweden through for me.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back