Endler's Live Bearer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I agree wholeheartedly with fishalishous, Endlers will breed themselves up to the carring capacity of your tank quite quickly. I love Endlers and when I first got mine I had a 10 gallon for them they quickly filled the aquarium through reproduction in around 3 months after that I had large die-offs and I felt that the health of the aquarium had fallen. Now I keep females and males seperate from one another in two tanks and the population looks much healthier. When I want more fish all I have to do is place the males with the females for awhile the segregate again in a little less than a month I have babies. Also this does not have to be done that often because once impregnated a female endler can have multiple broods. I have also found that sex segregation is a good way of keeping healthier females since males have a nasty tendency of impregnating females who are not yet big enough to pass all of the young and I would find smaller females with a half-birthed fry haging out dead in my tank. Sex segregation is the way to go I have found with my Endlers.

Rez B)

That's some good advice Rez, I'll remember that one when I get some Endler's!:D

I'll try and get some ordered. I'm thinking of putting them in my 30 gallon. I do have a 10 gallon but there are two female guppys in there, so my 10 is off limits. But I have no guppies in my 30 gallon.

wow those fish are so pretty can they breed with guppies because they can breed with mollies and are in the same genus they would be very pretty i will look at my pet store for them! :wub: they are very colorful

Most endlers being sold in shops are crosses with guppies, their are very few true endler lines going around due to cross breeding.

Yes i'm one of the people who think if u want endlers then make sure their a true endler. The crosses like the tiger are loverly fish and i like them as all fish, but if u get an endler cross never sell them as just an endler as this may pollute true lines.

If ur looking for true endlers then check out www.endlersr.us.

Extra info.
Endlers was fish discovered in 1925 and then rediscovered by Dr J Endler in 1975 these fish was still though to be a guppy and from the 1975 collection to 2006 (31 years) scientists had been looking at these fish to try to decide if they are just a guppy or a different species.

As they happily crossed endlers with guppies and produced fry that was able to breed their most was trying to make it a form of wild guppy.
How ever better due to our knowledge of the genetics's of these fish last year they was finealy named Poecilia wingei

If the females are the size of common female guppies.
Lots of colour and a large dorsal fin.
True swords in the tail (not a colours sword at the top or bottom).

Are sign's of crossing.

A traditional sign was also a shoulder line at an angel of 45 degree's, but i belive that some have been found nateral with out the line now.

Most reactions

Back