Endlers For A 5 Gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

thefishnoob

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all! I want to get some endlers or guppies for my 5g. Its not really a conventional glass aquarium, but a sterilite tub. I use it to grow Giant Duckweed and Water Sprite. I was hoping to get some live fish in there as nutrients.

How many?

None, 5 US gallons (~19l) is only suitable for small critters like Cherry Shrimps.

You could keep chili rasbora or other nano fish in a 5 gallon. You could keep 6-8 in a 5 gallons provided it has the length of a standard 5 gallon tank. 
I feel 20 gallons is right for endler's myself. 

A Betta will be ok in a 5 gal.

BTW I do keep endlers, but in a 10 gallon tank, only 6 though. Would not really recommend endlers in a 5 gal, they do actually need some space despite being small fish as they are active swimmers.

Seriously? I thought since endlers were so small they would be fine. Idk if it was this website but I saw a reference sheet saying 5ish were good with a 3g?

Its the same length.

People before have told me that around 5+ are good for a 5.

Yes, seriously, I did originally have 7 endlers in a nano tank, 22l / 5.8 gal tank, they pretty much stayed in one area of the tank, not really swimming around as you would expect.

Now, since moving to the 40 litre / 10 gal tank, they are actually much more active, swimming around a lot more and more colourful in actual fact.

Personally i wouldnt keep endlers in such a small space. Ive had plenty and mine always seemed to love darting around the tank actively. I doubt they would be able to in such a small area.

Agreed mine always enjoy spitting around their tank.

Hey, I don't know if it's livebearers you want...but the Mosquito Fish, Heterandria formosa, is a really tiny livebearer I've always wanted to have, but couldn't since it appears they only live happily in well-planted, minuscule tanks. The mother is continually dropping fry, one or two every few days, or so I've heard. Apparently the female only grows to max 1.25" and the male to 0.75"...not sure on that one though!
Heterandria%20formosa.%20han%20og%20hun.jpg

I thought mosquito fish were for ponds. I have seen them in small tanks actually. I will look into that, thanks!

Just make sure you don't get Gambusia! Those are a different fish and much bigger but are also called mosquito fish...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back