Emperor tetras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LimpingFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi
I've noticed that somtimes my two emperor tetras are swimming almost enirely vertically - as their head is facind the tank's bottom.. Is this normal? :eek:

This often signifies they arent happy with the water quality. Rummy Noses are often kept in Discus aquaria for the same reason. Swiming with bodies at an angle and heads down usually indicates water quality is not upto scratch.

Hmmm...
They did it only one time yesturday, What do you mean by water quality? Temperture? Nitrate? Ammonia? pH?
(Temperture is 28-29 c, ammonia 0, nitrate low, pH 6.8-7)

have you got the actual readings for nitrAte and nitrIte?

also, I dunno if this is relevant to the swimming issue, but it sounds like you only have two - they'd be happier if you got them some friends to shoal with. :)

edited for appalling grammar :rolleyes:

Water hardness may be a factor as well. Emperor tetras are supposed to accept a wider range of water hardness than others, but I believe most tetras prefer soft water.

Yea, I have only two for the moment, as they were the only ones in the store..
I wont buy any more ot them until I know my water is fine..
Don't know about the hardness, but the KH is 6, if that helps.
dont have the actual readings for the nitrate nitrite.. But i guess it's okay, since i have other gentle fish such as Cardinals, Clown loaches and Japonica shrimp.. And they're fine :eek:

The vertically floating was only for about 10 minutes i guess.. Are you sure it isn't normal?

I'd say unless they look genuinely ill, and as long as your water params are fine, they should be ok.

some of my tetras do a weird thing from time to time where they sort of lie down on their sides and swim like that for a second :/ so maybe they just like it ;)

thanks clutterydrawer

i'll check the pH level again, i guess it's the most crucial parameter (besides ammonia, but it hurts all of the fish if it's in a high level, and all the fish are fine )

I have some Emperor Tetra's too. Beautiful fish indeed. They do swim somewhat at a angle. I don't remember seeing them like you posted here (I'll pick a eye on them now). Also, my Diamond Tetra's do swim different ways (I have 8). Some point up, some down and others level lol.

I do remember seeing the Emperor's swimming move towards the bottom than normal. So, you might be ok. My PH level is 8.0 at 77 degrees. I have two different tetra's as I said here. Both are very active and happy.

My Emperor (male) is the King of the tank. He tells all the Diamond Tetra's who's boss :lol:

P.S. I had 4 Female Emperor Tetra and all did not make it. The males seem to be much easier to keep. That, or I got a bad batch of females lol I want to get some more soon tho.

Hi Melfice, you made me feel better about my emperors :p
I didn't mean that they swim near the bottom, i meant that they're floating with their head facing the bottom.. not enirely vertically..
It happend yesturday just before i closed the lights, and it happend again (although their head wasnt "down" as it was yesturday) after i closed the high lights..
Maybe it's just a form of floating at the night, when they're sleepy?

emperor1.jpg

LimpingFish said:
Hi Melfice, you made me feel better about my emperors :p
I didn't mean that they swim near the bottom, i meant that they're floating with their head facing the bottom.. not enirely vertically..
It happend yesturday just before i closed the lights, and it happend again (although their head wasnt "down" as it was yesturday) after i closed the high lights..
Maybe it's just a form of floating at the night, when they're sleepy?

emperor1.jpg
Yeah...when they sleep they do that a lot. Almost all my fish to (The Tetra's). What a beautiful female you have. I wish my Female Tetra's made it tho. I need to see where I can get a good batch of them. Like I said, my males are doing great.

Erm... at what size can you see the difference between a male and a female?
I've just been to the store, and all the emperors looked the same (and their about 2-3 cm)

Yea, i know how a male looks like, but what i asked is on what size the male's starting to look different from the female?

Sorry about that. :*) I've never raised these guys, so I don't know at what age you can really tell a difference between sexes. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back