EMO's Eventual Aquaponic Thirty

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Photos of why you let Orbeez FULLY expand before adding them to aquaponic grow bed. As you can see in the third photo, they disappear very quickly.

20230210_201643.jpg

20230210_201646.jpg

Attachments

• 20230210_201830.jpg
    20230210_201830.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 36
Sorry for my ignorance but what are the Orbeez for? What do they do in the tank?
Well, they aren't suppose to be in the tank.

I'm using them in replace of leca beads for growing plants. I just was impatient and put the Orbeez in the plant container and they spilled into the tank.

Are those Java ferns? The first and third photos look like them, though the middle one doesn't.
The reason I ask is because Java ferns should not be planted in the substrate as the rhizome will rot. They are usually grown attached to decor, though if you are careful not to cover the rhizome, the roots can be planted with the rhizome lying on top of the substrate.

Are those Java ferns? The first and third photos look like them, though the middle one doesn't.
The reason I ask is because Java ferns should not be planted in the substrate as the rhizome will rot. They are usually grown attached to decor, though if you are careful not to cover the rhizome, the roots can be planted with the rhizome lying on top of the substrate.
I don't know what they are. I just grabbed four plants that looked the same at PetCo. I've had similar ones before and had them planted in the substrate with no issue. So I want to say not java fern.

It's the way the first and third photos are growing new plants from the ends of the leaves that made me ask as that's what Java fern does.

It's the way the first and third photos are growing new plants from the ends of the leaves that made me ask as that's what Java fern does.
Fair.

I've never know what aquatic plants I've gotten as most times it just says if it's a mid range, back, or front of the tank plant. I could see if I still have the tubes they came in. I have most of the bags and stuff near the tank.

The plant in all three photos is Java Fern. The rhizome must be above the substrate. The fine black root hairs will grow into the substrate or the water column.

The plant in all three photos is Java Fern. The rhizome must be above the substrate. The fine black root hairs will grow into the substrate or the water column.
Okay, I'll take a search this week for something to keep it above the substrate.

Yep, raise that rhizome ;)
Okay, maybe I'll treat my dad while he's up this week and take him with me to PetCo and get some stuff for that. I think he already had a plan for Home Depot so I'll see about getting the sand there.

Also, I always read your username as "slaphappy" and I always giggle.

Do you have anything in mind? Wood? Rocks? Spongebob ornaments? Java fern needs to be attached to whatever using thread or cyanoacrylate superglue but eventually it will cling by itself like ivy does.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back