Emergency

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Phantom Thief

Population Control Volunteer
Reaction score
There is what i believe to be a gar that i have impulsively bought home. It is silver in coloration, with the exception of a single black spot at the base of its tail fin. Does anyone know what gar this is?

P.T.

From your description I think it is most likely to be Ctenolucius hujeta.

But a picture would really help to identify the Gar, any chance? The main species of true Gars come in two genus;

Genus Lepisosteus

Shortnose (L. platostomus)
Spotted (L. oculatus)
Florida (L. platyrhincus)
Longnose (L. osseus)

Genus Atractosteus

Tropical (A. tropicus)
Cuban (A. tristoechus)
Alligator (A. spatula)

Look at pics of them and you may be able to ID your fish. These are most of the true Gars, but there are other fish that are often called Gars, such as rocket gar, needle nose gar, hujeta gar and slant-nosed gars, I should think yours is one of these most probably the Ctenolucius hujeta. :)

Did it look like this
ctenolucius-hujeta-subsp.WildClombia2.JPG

They are quite a nice fish, predatory but peaceful with larger species. Provide them with a large tank with plenty of open swimming space, some tall plant cover or floating plants also helps. They are carnivores so will take a range of foods including fish, frozen foods, earthworms etc. A neutral pH is fine. Some sources say they can obtain 20-25" or more, but in captivity they will stay alot smaller reaching about 10-12". Males are generally smaller and slimmer with larger anal fins. HTH :)

I just found out most of the info about them, and they are mostly similar to what you said, ryan.

But one contrary though. A few websites i read said that they absolutely need live foods, is this true?

P.T.

No at first they may require live foods but they are fairly easy to move onto frozen and dead foods. :)

My LFS had about three of these guys when I ever id go there id get them to throw some guppys in for it :p They are one of the coolest fish to watch eat! They attack the fish sideways. and onces its in there jaws they turn it around and swallow it head first :p If you have the room you gatta get these!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back