April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

H0pefulDad

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, yes, I'm an idiot, I just want to preface with that so you all know that I know.

Why am I an idiot? Because I've been cycling this tank I've had for almost two months, and I finally got a betta today, and only after I put it in am I realizing that the sides of the tank are one-way glass, meaning inside the tank they are mirrors.

Do you see why I classify this as an emergency now? Do you see why I'm such an idiot for only just noticing this??

So far my little guy isn't attacking his reflection or anything, but he is spending a concerning amount of time near the mirror sides of the tank. Poor guy was kept in a tiny little bowl next to a bunch of other males, so I'm just gonna hope he's built up some tolerance for other males in his space, at least long enough until I can do something about this.

I know there are backgrounds they make for aquariums, but I think those usually go outside the tank. Are there any backgrounds that go inside the tank, that I could cut to fit the sides? Could I just use some waterproof fabric? My guy seems fine for now, but I don't want him to be under any unnecessary stress if I can help it.

I never heard of a tank constructed of one way glass. I know my betta can see his reflection on the side glass but the glass is not one way mirror glass. You could maybe put some dense plants near the sides of the glass to lessen the reflective area.

Last edited:
3D plastic/resin type “in tank“ rocky background stuff stuck on to sides? Ebay? Amazon?

I never heard of a tank constructed of one way glass. I know my betta can see his reflection on the side glass but the glass is not one way mirror glass. You could maybe put some dense plants near the sides of the glass to lessen the reflective area.

Yeah I checked and it seems that way, I'm just worried because he keeps going over to the sides like he can see something, swimming real close against it, even bumping his mouth on it.

I just hope that he can handle it until I get more plants, but water sprite seems to be out of season.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back