Emergency! Suicidal Anenome

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Shelby

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I seem to have a suicidal anenome. I have a submarine UV sterilizer and he has stuck himself on/in it twice had had to rip himself off. He's tearing himself up pretty bad. I also have a filter intake he stuck himself on. I am unsure he is going to make it but if he does how do I keep him off of these things??? If he won't stay in one place??

I seem to have a suicidal anenome. I have a submarine UV sterilizer and he has stuck himself on/in it twice had had to rip himself off. He's tearing himself up pretty bad. I also have a filter intake he stuck himself on. I am unsure he is going to make it but if he does how do I keep him off of these things??? If he won't stay in one place??

The poor thing, I sincerely hope it makes it :sad:

You can buy some plastic sheet netting form a craft shop such as C+H fabrics, some nylon twine and fashion a safety cage around the intake of any filtration system you have.

Is your anemone a BTA? If so, please take a look at this site for more info on your anemone:

http://www.karensroseanemones.net/thedyingrose.htm

http://www.karensroseanemones.net/whatdeathlookslike.htm

Good luck.

Yes it is a BTA. Yesterday wasn't so bad. I shut the UV off when I noticed and he tore himself off of it. Wasn't a bad tear rather small, but during the night he did it again and really tore himself up good. This morning he was on the filter intake (magnum 350) and I just saw the pieces stuck to the UV sterl and saw the big tear in him.

I'm so sorry to hear it....... This always makes me so sad :sad:

Please read through the website I suggested, it is extremely helpful.

I do have photos of the powerhead covers I made for my tank from the plastic mesh, but sadly, this thread won't let me add any photos on here, sorry.

Unfortunatley filter intakes/power heads and anemones don't mix.

The reason it is moving around is because it is not happy and is tryin to find a suitable spot in your tank, the only way to stop it is to provide the right conditions.

What lighting are you using, what filtration method and what are your parameters?

Nick

Its a 90 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump with bioballs, along with a magnum 350 canister, I'm using a 4foot t5 fixture with 8 bulbs 4 blue 4 white. Temp is 80/81F. The submariner submersible UV sterilizer, return pump from sump, magnum return, and 2 powerheads handle the circulation. Will check water parameters and post those.

forgot 80 lbs live rock, 2 inch sand bed, 2 clown fish, 1 manderin goby

Water is
PH 7.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
Calcium 20 drops 400mg/l
Dkh 9 kh 161.1
Phosphates .5
salinity 1.026/35 (using refractometer not hydrometer.

Levels aren't ideal...

Definitely double check your density with a refract.
pH should be at least 8.0... and you should have no phosphates.
Are you using RO? If not, you should be or if you are I would test that water.

Hi Nemo, I checked my density again. Still at 1.026/35. Is that not right?

I do use RO water and I have always had small amounts of phosphates. I can only do small water changes like 3 gallons at a time. Could the phosphates be coming from the salt I use?

Hi Shelby

Have you have broken one of the golden rules and put a nem in your tank before it is mature, isn't your tank only about six months old? :rolleyes:

I take it you mean that your sg is 1.026 - why are you putting the figure on the end?

You could be getting the nitrates from the water you put in your tank, test it and see.

Nems nearly always roam when you put them in a new tank unless you have given them ideal conditions, so anything like powerheads MUST be covered, I will go and have a look for a link for you in a minute.

Next thing to do is prepare an area for your Nem, they like to have their foot deep in the rock work and have a little cave to hide in - I have found that having a cave, with a lip of rock at the front seems to be ideal, as long as there is rock behind the cave for their foot to be wedged. If you have a suitable cave, you can place the nem inside and place a collender over the entrance. They don't like having a heavy flow right upon them, they like a diffused flow, so ensure the powerheads are not directed straight at them.

Hope that helps

Seffie x

ps here you go: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/312071-anemone-resource/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back