Emergency, Please Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No I don't think it would be helpful at this stage as the fish doesn't have dropsy - that's when the scales stick out all over the body. The scales which are sticking out are very localised, and they show red beneath them suggesting a localised infection at this stage not a body wide infection.

But I'm afraid I don't know which medication to suggest as I've never had to deal with this :(
Ok I won't give him an epsom salt bath then, thank you. I just hope the kanaplex I ordered gets here soon as that's the only thing I can get with antibiotics in it, which is probably the only thing that can help him, poor little guy 😢

I'm considering treating him for internal parasites in the interim. Perhaps parasites could be the cause of the bacterial infection? Would it hurt? I have esha gdex on standby.

I might wait a few days before treating him with anything though so I can give him a break from medication and do a couple of big water changes.

I'm considering treating him for internal parasites in the interim. Perhaps parasites could be the cause of the bacterial infection?
Not likely.
Would it hurt?
Quite possibly.
I have esha gdex on standby.
Very few of us are actual vets, so making an accurate diagnosis usually takes some time.
Whilst I'm an advocate of aquarium salt, I'm really cautious when it comes down to throwing in random chemicals in a vague attempt to pin the diagnostic tail of the poor fish-donkey. ;)
Regarding salt, I use 1 tbsp per 5 gallons as a general water treatment and, if a fish is unwell, I up this to 1 tbsp per 3 gallons.
I might wait a few days before treating him with anything though so I can give him a break from medication and do a couple of big water changes.
Sounds like a good plan.

No I don't think it would be helpful at this stage as the fish doesn't have dropsy - that's when the scales stick out all over the body. The scales which are sticking out are very localised, and they show red beneath them suggesting a localised infection at this stage not a body wide infection.

But I'm afraid I don't know which medication to suggest as I've never had to deal with this :(
Whatever it is it seems to be annoying... I wonder if he got injured really bad and its swelling... Is that possible?

Not likely.

Quite possibly.

Very few of us are actual vets, so making an accurate diagnosis usually takes some time.
Whilst I'm an advocate of aquarium salt, I'm really cautious when it comes down to throwing in random chemicals in a vague attempt to pin the diagnostic tail of the poor fish-donkey. ;)
Regarding salt, I use 1 tbsp per 5 gallons as a general water treatment and, if a fish is unwell, I up this to 1 tbsp per 3 gallons.

Sounds like a good plan.
I really appreciate everyone's help and understand that it is very hard to reach a diagnosis even for vets.

I have decided to lower the salt in the tank to 2ppt and eventually remove it all because it doesn't seem to be helping. And people keep telling me he has dropsy and if he does have dropsy aquarium salt are supposed to make it worse. I guess they are just getting to me and I feel like I need to remove it as a precaution.

Whatever it is it seems to be annoying... I wonder if he got injured really bad and its swelling... Is that possible?
He actually doesn't seem fazed by it, but yes it must be painful. I don't think it could be from an injury, there is nothing in his tank he could injure himself on and his scales are sticking out on both sides so I think it is most likely internal.

I really appreciate everyone's help and understand that it is very hard to reach a diagnosis even for vets.

I have decided to lower the salt in the tank to 2ppt and eventually remove it all because it doesn't seem to be helping. And people keep telling me he has dropsy and if he does have dropsy aquarium salt are supposed to make it worse. I guess they are just getting to me and I feel like I need to remove it as a precaution.
That seems like a good idea... Ive seen some pretty bad fish issues with stomachs bulging out and stuff... this has to be #2 on the list for me of looking the most painful... I really have no idea (besides dropsy) of what this could be. I have hope that it'll go down in time. You've got this!

He actually doesn't seem fazed by it, but yes it must be painful. I don't think it could be from an injury, there is nothing in his tank he could injure himself on and his scales are sticking out on both sides so I think it is most likely internal.
Yeah, I kinda figured it was internal, but I was just throwing ideas out there. Sorry that your fish is going through this

If its a med for people, you probably shouldnt use it on your fish
Someone's suggesting it to me but I think I agree with you, even if it was safe he doesn't have a huge open wound so hardly any of the cream would get in. And taking him out of the tank would cause him so much stress!

Someone's suggesting it to me but I think I agree with you, even if it was safe he doesn't have a huge open wound so hardly any of the cream would get in. And taking him out of the tank would cause him so much stress!
Did you know that the internet would also suggest that we all dance nekkid under a gibbous mood, turning widdershins until the aliens send us a sign. ;)

Did you know that the internet would also suggest that we all dance nekkid under a gibbous mood, turning widdershins until the aliens send us a sign. ;)
That's why it makes it so hard to figure out what to do! Who do I listen to, who do I not listen to, and how do I even figure that out when I have no experience myself 😵‍💫

That's why it makes it so hard to figure out what to do! Who do I listen to, who do I not listen to, and how do I even figure that out when I have no experience myself 😵‍💫
The internet is a scarey place

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back