Emergency guppy problem

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Fish4dawin

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I've just got back from my walk and came upstairs to check on one of the tanks and I found a dead lyre tail guppy and also a flame guppy who is sat on the bottom and has a big stomach. The parameters are all normal and I have flushed the dead guppy. I'm planning on doing a water change now. What's wrong with the flame guppy?

Attachments

• IMG_20210116_122123.jpg
    IMG_20210116_122123.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 52
It looks like it might be bloating, but trying to pin the cause may be tricky. What tank mates does the guppy have? What is your setup like?

Iā€™m not confident I can give you a course of action but, with some of this info, other members here might be able to advise you. For now, a water change is a good idea, as well as keeping an eye on your other fish.

It looks like it might be bloating, but trying to pin the cause may be tricky. What tank mates does the guppy have? What is your setup like?

Iā€™m not confident I can give you a course of action but, with some of this info, other members here might be able to advise you. For now, a water change is a good idea, as well as keeping an eye on your other fish.
The tank has black phantoms tetras and shrimp. The black phantoms might be moved to a different tank later. Also there is another guppy who seems to be a bit more dominant. I did just lose another guppy and it was smaller.

Last edited:
Sadly that guppy died an hour later. ;(
Iā€™m sorry to hear that. If you see any guppies showing symptoms of illness or acting abnormally, separate them into a hospital tank immediately. If you can, post some pictures of the guppies. Are their scales pineconing? A search on Google should show what this looks like, if you are unfamiliar.

Have you introduced any new fish recently or equipment/plants/furnishings used in a different tank? If any of the latter group, especially decorations, remove as soon as possible. Other than the bloating, are there any other appearance changes? For example, do the gills look any different?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but hopefully the other fish pull through.

To expand a bit more, you could also try feeding shelled and crushed peas to the ill fish, to see if it is constipation. A bit of fibre much get their bowels moving again.

I also found this, which mentions worms. Have a look to see if there are any issues around the anus of your fish, as this could indicate they are carrying such a parasite.

Iā€™m sorry to hear that. If you see any guppies showing symptoms of illness or acting abnormally, separate them into a hospital tank immediately. If you can, post some pictures of the guppies. Are their scales pineconing? A search on Google should show what this looks like, if you are unfamiliar.

Have you introduced any new fish recently or equipment/plants/furnishings used in a different tank? If any of the latter group, especially decorations, remove as soon as possible. Other than the bloating, are there any other appearance changes? For example, do the gills look any different?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but hopefully the other fish pull through.
We added 3 amber cherry shrimp but I don't think that they would've caused the issue right? It was about 2 weeks ago we added them.

To expand a bit more, you could also try feeding shelled and crushed peas to the ill fish, to see if it is constipation. A bit of fibre much get their bowels moving again.

I also found this, which mentions worms. Have a look to see if there are any issues around the anus of your fish, as this could indicate they are carrying such a parasite.
Hmmm I should've thought of the peas. I'm not sure if they would have helped to be honest. No other fish have these symptoms as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back