EMERGENCY: Fish on floor of tank, gasping for breath

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Ammonia exists in 2 forms in water - toxic ammonia and much less toxic ammonium. The amount in each form depends on the pH.
Our test kits measure both forms combined. The Seachem Ammonia Alert measures only ammonia and not ammonium.

If your pH is below 7.0, just about all the reading from the tester will be ammonium so the Seachem alert will read zero.
Hi Essjay,

My pH is 7.8. Today I'll perform an additional ammonia test using my Seachem test kit in addition to my standard API ammonia test.

Unfortunately, my betta's condition has continued to degenerate. He is barely able to swim, so I've been keeping him in a breeding net box near the surface. The dark patches have continued to spread across his body, and his torso has started to show what looks like scale loss or necrosis. His tail fin, too, has degenerated further. His body has grown much thinner despite the fact that he is eating readily.

Over the past few days, I've had him on kanamycin-medicated food soaked in a vitamin supplement to treat what I suspect could be mycobacteriosis (fish tuberculosis) or columnaris. Other posters have suggested that my fish might be struggling from ammonia poisoning or osmotic dysregulation as a result of my having used a mixed solution of conditioned tap water and distilled water to perform water changes. I've been trying to address these possibilities by performing 20% water changes twice daily, testing my water daily, and slowly switching over to conditioned tap water.

Should I try to add aquarium salt to his tank in an effort to improve his gill function? He is surrounded by bubblers, but he is still struggling to breathe. Should I try placing him in a medicated dip?

I thank you so much for your assistance.
0D729789-0F4B-4468-BC75-6AD56A14011F.jpeg

3E97A9AD-BFA1-49EA-97C8-553719BECC56.jpeg

I think you might want to seriously consider euthanising him.

He is, by your own words, struggling to do the basic things in life and is certainly not improving.

Sadly as fishkeepers we all have to make the decision to euthanise occasionally when its in the best interests of the fish.

Your Betta is not a happy fella, he is struggling and undoubtably suffering.

To euthanise, get some clove oil, put a small amount of aquarium water into a bowl, add a few drops of clove oil and mix it very well til milky colour. catch the fish and gently place into the mixture. He will convulse for a few moments before going to sleep and not waking up.

Fishkeeping is not as easy as people think, sometimes when things go wrong, you have to make horrible decisions. I believe that your Betta has reached the stage where he can no longer be helped and it would be kinder to let him go.

I'm sorry.

Hi @wasmewasntit ,

I thank you so much for your comprehensive guidance. Iā€™ve been wrestling with the decision of whether I ought to continue treating my betta or begin the process of euthanizing him with clove oil. I am deeply saddened by my betta's suffering, and I worry that his pain was precipitated by something that I have done or failed to do. However, I am mindful that my guilt and rue cannot distract me from acting in the best interest of my betta, even if this entails euthanasia.

That said, I have observed some improvements in my bettaā€™s condition over the past few days. He is swimming more, though he still is still spending the bulk of his time resting on the floor of his breeding net box. He also appears more alert, particularly when Iā€™m feeding and interacting with him. Iā€™d like to continue trying to treat him while heā€™s eating and improving.

My bettaā€™s symptoms have evolved in a manner that is suggestive of columnaris and fin rot. He recently started developing a white or blanched patch in the middle of the black patch that formed on his body at the beginning of his illness. His fins have shown further signs of fin rot, with some black discoloration along the tips. He also seems to be itchy - he periodically scratches his body along the netting of his breeding box.

Yesterday, I started medicating my 10 gallon tank with a tablet of Jungle Fungus Clear, which contains nitrofurazone, furazolidone, and potassium dichromate. Unfortunately, I am unable to obtain pure nitrofurazone in my country, but Iā€™ve read that Jungle Fungus Clear is a viable alternative. Iā€™ve continued adding a low dose of aquarium salt to the water as well as feeding my betta kanamycin-medicated food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back