Emerald Brochis Size Differences

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ceramicbull

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am planning on getting a small shoal of Emerald Brochis (Emerald Cory, " Brochis Splendens) for my 29g tank, and my LFS has one lonely, but absolutely huge (about 3.5") one all on his own. I am wondering if it is safe to mix, or will even shoal, with smaller members of his species. I'd love to give the old guy a home.

Also, I've noticed that "Green Cory" is often called Corydoras aeneas at the local big-box petstores, I thought aeneas was Bronze and albino? I suspect they may actually be Brochis, but that doesn't sell as well.

Yes, mixed sizes of the Emerald cats should shoal just fine together! I work at one of said big-box pet stores, and we've got tiny ones in with a recent bunch of big guys (2.5" or so I'd say?). They all shoal just fine and race around the tank together!

Also, you're right when you say that Corydoras aeneus is the bronze cory and albino cory. But their common name on our tags in the store is the Green Cory Catfish, probably because they're shiny green in the light. Common names can vary, but it's still a bronzie at heart! :) On that same note, we tag the Emerald cat as the Emerald Cory Catfish, because it looks cory-ish, even though it's not a true cory, being Brochis splendens. Best to go by the scientific name on the tag, because those never change!

Judging from your response, I'd say you work at the one that doesn't end with "co". I went out looking tonight and found a store with both "green cory" and "emerald green cory" (which did in fact have Brochis splendens listed as the scientific name), and was able to get a better look at the differences. I just need to double check that the one at the LFS isn't actually a green/gold cory (Corydoras melanotaenia), as they look fairly similar.

Has mentioned emerald catfish isn't actually a cory -
The aeneous family does consist of bronze,albino,peppered and variations of green & gold corys - the latters are normally sold has green/gold lasers or stripes.

Emerald cats are quite large and its possible if this emerald you've seen is probably a female has they do tend to be larger than the males.

melanotaenia corydora are elongated bronze cory that normally has a black coloured stripe running down its body and are smaller and a true cory compared to the emerald.they're often confused of being an emerald cat.

I see this question a lot.

If you look at the picture below, you can see the difference in a B. splendens and a Bronze C. Aeneus (The bigger ones are the B. splendens).

Hope this helps.

IMG_0242.jpg

Yeah, glad to see I managed to get the right one. Looks like the main differences are in the dorsal fins and the size. What do you feed yours? I have spectrum sinking pellets and it seems that only half my shoal enjoys them. It has only been a little over 24 hours, so mabye they just aren't comfortable enough yet, but are there better foods?

Yeah, glad to see I managed to get the right one. Looks like the main differences are in the dorsal fins and the size. What do you feed yours? I have spectrum sinking pellets and it seems that only half my shoal enjoys them. It has only been a little over 24 hours, so mabye they just aren't comfortable enough yet, but are there better foods?

Well, I feed mine all kinds of food ranging from Earthworm sticks, flake food, catfish pellots, algae wafers, and different kinds of pellot foods I have found over the years. I use to feed them live blackworms, which all fish love, but havent lately.

I get most of the fish food from the LFS, Kensfish, and from sellers on Aquabid.

:good:

Most reactions

Back