Ember Tetra Not Swimming With School?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CrazyDiamond88

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Today I added my fish into my newly cycled 13 gal tank :)

First I added my newly bought ember tetras (6 of them), after aclimating them for 15 mins in a bag. 

They schooled together at first, but now one has broken off and is hanging around mostly on its own in a corner. Sometimes he'll join the others for a bit, but then he goes back to his corner.

I put my betta male in afterwards and he is fine, not bothering the tetras at all and they are not fussed by him.

But I'm just concerned about this lone tetra. He is a very bright orange which is a good sign... but why is he alone?

Sometimes fish when you buy them they have different levels of boldness. This tetra may either be bold or sick.
Does he look ok other than vivid colors? Swimming funny, spots anything like that?
I'm guessing he's just a loner. Keep an eye on him for possible disease for a few days-weeks just to be sure. :)

He seems okay... I guess. But he is mostly just kind of hovering in the same corner, rapidly flapping his fins to keep up.

Every now and then he'll dart off after a little particle or swim in a circle. My betta also hangs in that corner sometimes and the tetra will move away when he comes through, but then goes back to his spot.

That corner is probably the corner with the lowest flow, the fish tend to find that spot in the tank when they are stressed out.   I would just keep an eye on him and see where it goes from here, he is probably just stressed and trying to acclimate.  

For future reference just putting the bag in your tank water for 10 or 15 minutes IS NOT acclimation, you are pretty much just dumping the fish right into your tank from the bag which will cause the fish some serious stress, and may be why your fishy is acting funny.  For future reference, after you let the bag float in the tank for that 15 minutes, open the top of the bag and get cup, and pour a little tank water in the bag every 5 minutes or so, until you can't put much more.  This will ensure when you remove the fish from the bag, they are put into water that is almost identical to the water that was in the bag.

I have a shoal of glow light tetra and I have one that has always took himself off to a corner on his own, join up when something exciting is happening like feeding time or if the others are just being frisky..., but otherwise off he goes...and he's been like that for weeks!! If he didn't mingle at all it would worry me, but as he does I am just putting it down to how he wants to be!

Thanks guys.

Happy to say that all 6 tetras are swimming about happily now :)

They are coloring up and becoming more bold, swimming right near my betta who takes no notice of them. Perfect tank mates!

In terms of stocking, do you think I could get maybe two more tetras?

Two more tetras are a great idea. After that you're tank is fully stocked though. :)
good news about the tetras. I'm glad you're successful in your tank.

Thanks tall tree =) I'll go get two more this week.

Cute little guys, they're really growing on me!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back