Elodea turning yellow

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi!

So I’ve come back from vacation and noticed the difference in my elodea, all of them turning yellow and shredding leaves.

The point here is that I forgot to get rid of duckweed and water lettuce before going on a vacation, it took over the tank and blocking the light from getting below.

I’ve eliminate floaters and add more light but it doesn’t fix the yellow leaves, all it did was making elodea pearling.

Is it too late to fix this mess?
A16D7CDC-722A-44A9-B637-0CDCAB2B1F4F.jpeg
1935A48C-DB94-40DA-BE8E-D62FA75D23F6.jpeg

It may be to late. Usually when they are that color, they are already dead.

I would try to remove any that are yellow/brown and then perform a 40% water change.

You do dose DIY Co2 in this tank, correct?

But you had it on Co2 and then you just took it off. Plants can’t handle that kind of nutrient deficiencies.

I am trying to help you... I already gave you advice:

It may be to late. Usually when they are that color, they are already dead.

I would try to remove any that are yellow/brown and then perform a 40% water change.

You do dose DIY Co2 in this tank, correct?
But you had it on Co2 and then you just took it off. Plants can’t handle that kind of nutrient deficiencies.

IF the tank was covered by duckweed or other floaters the reduced light level will have an effect. But all those floating plants also consume nitrogen, potassium phosphate, iron mangnaaese, zinc and other minerals. without those minerals the health of the plant will be impacted. Best course of action when you got back was to remove the floaters (which you did) and then do a large water change which will restores some of the minerals the floaters removed. The if you routinely fertilize, add the fertilizer.
I’ve eliminate floaters and add more light but it doesn’t fix the yellow leaves, all it did was making elodea pearling.
Pearling is good. It means the plants are actively growing and still allive. So as long as you keep up with your water changes and regular maintenance the plants will recover. However the damage parts of the plant may may not return to normal. Plants have a very limited abilittyto repair damaged tissue. If the damage cannot be healed the plant will simply grow a new shoot and leaves while the damaged ones will die and eventually fall off.

Last edited:
I’m a bit worry at the time, don’t wanna see it died off as I just sold dosen of them to my LFS.

Just did another test on diy CO2 and it exploded once again :S

Most reactions

trending

Back