Elodea Densa is pale?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

In my bottle aqurium wich houses a snail or two and Elodea Densa, I have noticed over the last few months the plant has gone from thick green to pale green, almost white, the plant is in fertilised compost, I think I may have added a little fertiliser too and is in view of a lot of sunlight so I don't understand why its white? Last year the plant grew so much it was really thriving so I am not sure why its now going white?

Do you change the water in this bottle aquarium?

And is there any flow in the water from an air stone or small filter ?

Do you change the water in this bottle aquarium?

And is there any flow in the water from an air stone or small filter ?

I do change the water every now and then, but no flow of air. It was fine from november 2018 until about 2 months ago.

I do change the water every now and then, but no flow of air. It was fine from november 2018 until about 2 months ago.
Have you fertilised it since you set it up? The soil might be tapped out of nutrients perhaps? But this is just a guess based on what people say about dirted tanks and aquasoils only lasting a year or so before root tabs need to be added.

Have you fertilised it since you set it up? The soil might be tapped out of nutrients perhaps? But this is just a guess based on what people say about dirted tanks and aquasoils only lasting a year or so before root tabs need to be added.

This was proper fertilised gardening compost,

Yep, agree, all soil or substrate will eventually run low or out of nutrients if there is nothing to feed them with.

Once weekly dosing of liquid fert should bring the elodea back. These plants are pretty good at reducing nutrients from the water column fairly fast due to fact they are fast growing plants.

Yep, agree, all soil or substrate will eventually run low or out of nutrients if there is nothing to feed them with.

Once weekly dosing of liquid fert should bring the elodea back. These plants are pretty good at reducing nutrients from the water column fairly fast due to fact they are fast growing plants.

Yes well your post makes sense, the plant was a very fast grower ad it had thick presence. Mmm I may have to refurbish the aquarium again. I did a video on it when I did it last winter, its on my YouTube channel.

I fully agree with Adora and Charlie.
Anacharis Elodea are fast growing plants that will absorb the nutrients fast.
Your fertilized compost will run out of nutrients after a while.

Liquid fertilizer is still the best unlike soil/compost that need to be changed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back