Elk hunting pictures

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Yeah, always some pretty strong mixed emotions with a kill: Sadness at removing a beautiful animal from the flow of life, a sense of accomplishment bordering on euphoria, relief at providing some meat for the winter, deep gratitude, and some other things that are hard to hang words on.
Yah... That's good to have though! But luckily you know that all or at least most of the animal will be used. So it didn't die without purpose.... Still a very sad process

Interesting thing about pronghorns: According to fossils, there used to be several species, as there are now with deer. These are the only ones left. Why are they so fast? There is nothing that can come remotely close to outrunning them, even wolves. They're like Ferraris in the land of pickup trucks. Well, there also used to be cheetahs (or something very similar) in North America, and something called a short-faced bear that many paleontologists believe could run like a cheetah. So, pronghorns are a remnant of an ecology that no longer exists.

They are also known as being rather easy to hunt. (Notice I didn't tell a story about this hunt? I drove up within a couple hundred yards, got out, and shot him, all while wearing my boot cast.) They rely so much on their speed that they'll stand there and watch you, sometimes even come toward you to see what you're up to, confident in their ability to sprint out of danger. This strategy doesn't work well against firearms, obviously.

...unless they're being hunted a lot. They learn very fast, and their vision is equivalent to a human with 8x binoculars. Once they figure out that the hunt is on, they'll have you spotted from miles away, even if you're trying to be sneaky, and they're gone almost before you see them. I guess that's why they're still around.

Really amazing, the history of our planet's ecosystems

Well, I would have killed a bull yesterday if I didn't have this crippled foot. As it was, I had a couple bulls moving toward me at sundown, and I couldn't move quickly enough to get the wind in my favor. (You can often fool an elk's ears, and sometimes you can fool its eyes, but you can NEVER fool its nose) Even then, I almost got a shot...but they were a little too far away so I passed.

My hunting buddy got a really nice bull, though! His first one. He was happier than a little kid at Christmas. He has a lot of mouths to feed, and he wants to learn to tan hides, and those antlers will look awfully nice on his wall. And we had a lot of fun stuffing a bull elk into the back of his suburban, in the dark. :lol:

Didn't hunt him, just shot a photo ;)

Berta.jpg

That used to happen all the time in the National Park the elk photo was taken. That same bull regularly chased off tourists and cars that got too close to him/his ladies. Mess with the bull you get the horns/antlers lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back