Electric blue Acara's

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
Hi peeps

Anyone done a single Eba with bigger barbs (Rosy,black Ruby etc)

Just wondered how they would get along in 55g+ planted set up?

Cheers

Hi peeps

Anyone done a single Eba with bigger barbs (Rosy,black Ruby etc)

Just wondered how they would get along in 55g+ planted set up?

Cheers
I keep electric blue acara and that would work in my opinion, they are generally mild mannered

Have you got/had barbs in with yours @Guyb93?

Id be worried about the barbs out competing the eba for food.
I did have a brief spell where I had tiger barbs with them but now I keep Colombian tetra who are very aggressive feeders also , I find if they are being beaten to the food they won’t be the next day if that makes sense they can handle themselves nicely

They will be just fine together. First off, EBA are mostly peaceful by cichlid standards.

The barbs will also not be seen as competition and will not be able to be targeted down because of the schooling behavior.

South American cichlids do surprisingly well with dither fish such as tetras, barbs, rainbows, and danios..... as long as they cannot be eaten whole. If it fits in their mouth, it's food.

Thanks guys, appreciate the info:good:

Admired the Eba's for a good while and was thinking of them to go into the next project. But been thinking of adding one to my 55g to add something different.

Only stumbling block might be ive got Apisto's in the 55 with the barbs at the moment

Thanks guys, appreciate the info:good:

Admired the Eba's for a good while and was thinking of them to go into the next project. But been thinking of adding one to my 55g to add something different.

Only stumbling block might be ive got Apisto's in the 55 with the barbs at the moment
Should be ok , maybe it will have to learn it’s place a little bit .dwarf cichlids often don’t know they are dwarf , but eba are generally mild mannered unless spawning

Hi peeps,

Old thread revist lol

Still interesting in adding some cichlids. I waited for the arrival of a bigger tank.

New tanks due this week so once its set up and settled id like to go head and add some.

Set up will be.

(151x51x66cm) according to the site calculator its 508ltrs - 134g

Ph 7.4
Gh 9

Barbs out my 55g will come across.

9 Odessa
8 Rosy
6 black ruby
6 denison

Id like if possible a group of the smaller peaceful cichlids like Eba/t bar/Rainbows/keyhole etc but doing some reading up problems appear when 2 pair up.

Can a group be done or am i looking at getting individuals?

Hi peeps,

Old thread revist lol

Still interesting in adding some cichlids. I waited for the arrival of a bigger tank.

New tanks due this week so once its set up and settled id like to go head and add some.

Set up will be.

(151x51x66cm) according to the site calculator its 508ltrs - 134g

Ph 7.4
Gh 9

Barbs out my 55g will come across.

9 Odessa
8 Rosy
6 black ruby
6 denison

Id like if possible a group of the smaller peaceful cichlids like Eba/t bar/Rainbows/keyhole etc but doing some reading up problems appear when 2 pair up.

Can a group be done or am i looking at getting individuals?
I keep a group , I have a breeding pair of electric blue acara a pair of keyholes and two green severum used to hve geophagus in there too , pretty much same sized tank 5ft 500l I get mild aggression when the eba are spawning but nothing serious everyone has there own territory

I keep a group , I have a breeding pair of electric blue acara a pair of keyholes and two green severum used to hve geophagus in there too , pretty much same sized tank 5ft 500l I get mild aggression when the eba are spawning but nothing serious everyone has there own territory
Thats good to know that you only see mild aggression. Cool that you habe severums too.

How do you find the keyholes? Are they abit more timid in their ways.

Thats good to know that you only see mild aggression. Cool that you habe severums too.

How do you find the keyholes? Are they abit more timid in their ways.
My keyholes are bottom of the food chain by far but they have no problems it’s like they are invisible to the others , they don’t compete for food or territory they just do there own thing , they have paired I’m certain of it but they won’t lay eggs just just can’t compete territorially with the others as where my electric blue acara will beat up my severum during spawning , i think in a mixed cichlid tank you need an established tank boss and introduce around them , my larger severum could easier be the tank boss but has grew up knowing its place with my breeding pair running the show and with the eba being relaxed I have a good balance of I’m not going to bully you but I will if I want to lol

Sounds like youve got a real good set up. You wouldnt think a eba would be able to boss a tank with severums in it lol..madness!

Its so hard to choose with so many options. Ive watched countless videos on youtube of cichlids it almost blows my mind.

Just been looking up firemouths and Vieja's.

Think my top choice would be some redhead tapajo's followed my eba's but ive heard mixed reviews on the redheads on being community friendly or not.

Sounds like youve got a real good set up. You wouldnt think a eba would be able to boss a tank with severums in it lol..madness!

Its so hard to choose with so many options. Ive watched countless videos on youtube of cichlids it almost blows my mind.

Just been looking up firemouths and Vieja's.

Think my top choice would be some redhead tapajo's followed my eba's but ive heard mixed reviews on the redheads on being community friendly or not.
My set up kind of fell into place with guidance of members on here ... Iv been lucky I think , yeah my severum aren’t fully grown yet but they are still bigger than my eba lol might be because Its never a fair fight lol my eba will defend as a pair and attack as a pair think it’s will be hard for them to be taken over , I’d advise the same as what I got advised not to mix continents as in south and Central America I used to have convicts that didn’t end well they wasn’t any more aggressive than the south’s but it was never peace in the tank it’s like they couldnt read each other properly, and my convicts never accepted that they wasn’t boss they would constantly being trying to take over causing fights and such

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back