Elephant noses

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Calusa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I can't seem to get ANY info on these guys relating to the type of water they prefer. Brackish or Fresh... and how the heck do you keep brine shrimp alive? Suggestions needed! thanks!

As far as I am aware, brine shrimp need salt water to survive. Whenever I buy them as food for my fish I keep them in the little sealed bag they come in and float it in the water until I am ready to feed the fish. If they are not eaten straight away then they will die in a tropical freshwater setup.

my lfs has a brine shrimp hatchery thing which u keep int he tank, the unit is locked , with shrimp inside in the salt water. if u follow me , then u just open it up and take some out its about the same size a coke can or slightly larger about £10 for the unit and brineshrimp as well

Freshwater should be fine, as Cry said soft substrate and they should take frozen brineshrimp. My lfs has Peters Elephantnoses and Ghost Knives (related). Are you in UK? :)

I have one... not in a species tank. I've had freshwater for over 10 years... I have a bit of experience behind me. I've noted the 'fussy eating' and am about to locate a pipet to put the food infront of him if he doesn't eat by tuesday. All of my live feeders died overnight. I even opened the bag to allow gas exchange. As of current, I have normal aquarium gravel substrate, I'm contemplaing changing it.. but I want his stress level to drop a bit more before I go into that. I have a tank that's fully hooded, the thing managed to jump out yesterday. If my birds hadn't freaked out and brought me in there (I thought one of their wing's was stuck in the bars or somthing), I wouldn't have caught it in time. Since I covered the hole with plastic, as recommended, my temerature has risen to 78, 4 degrees higher... I'm trying to think of a way to get better ventilation. I live in the States... waaay far away from the UK. My LFS told me that he'd love me if I gave him live brine, but he'd take otherwise... but he's not eating at this time, we'll see how it goes.

edit-

lastnight before he jumped out, I noticed 3 spots on his back, and I hypothesize that they are a result of trauma when he was removed from the tank at the store. Typically, when this happens to my fish, they don't heal, get an infection and that's the end of it. But this morning, I looked him over, and they're gone, so I must be doing somthing right! =P

well, I managed to get him to feed! Turkey Basters work miracles!

I have 3 elephants in my small tank and have had no problems for the last year with them, they love bloodworm and dry and they seem to preffer slightly brackish but not a lot hope this helps

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back