Elephant nose

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Damo23

Reaction score
Looking at owning a elephant nose again. After any tips or advice I can get. I had one for two year in a cichlid tank which ended in a red cherry on trunk and was to late for anything to be done basically I want everything possible for next ones to strive. No cichlids but platies and guppies planted tank

Hi, I keep elephant noses my oldest will be 11yrs in a couple of months. Definitely get sand easier and gentle on their chins, lots of hiding places my oldest really loves his pvc pipe and my others prefer hiding in my plants! Peaceful fish, nothing that can out compete the elephant for food. Good cleaning regime, live and frozen bloodworm. Nothing sharp in the tank.
I think that's all!

Appreciate the reply at this stage I have soil for the planted tank but changes can be made I won't be getting any til I can be sure I have everything in place. And 11 years is a massive achievement well deserved congrats

They should only be kept as a group, minimum 5-6, but because they need a lot of ‘personal space’ within the group, you need a very large tank. They should also be kept on a mud /soil substrate, with no aggressive tankmates, and fed at night.
Basically they’re not suitable for any but very large aquaria, although most websites say otherwise. They’re a gregarious species that should never be kept alone.

I had heard that they do better in groups I was looking at three but I was a worried my 50 gallon 190litre tank wouldn't suit more then two so possibly going for one I'm assuming two would be territorial. I mention I had one with cichlids. For two year every was well but obviously not or I would of still possible had it

I have 4 and have no issues with them being territorial. Mine have been on sand and all do great, soil will be fine.

One main problem here is your tank size, you need a much larger tank even for one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back