Elephant Nose

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gankutsuou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
this is my first profiling, so be gentle with me.

Size: 13 inches (more common is 8 inches)
Tank size: 3 foot long minimum, but from my experience I'd say make it wider than a foot if you wish it to be active.
Tank level: bottom and mid level swimmer.
PH: 6-7
Difficulty: 9 out of 10, not for beginners. They need extreem care and water quality, and are not forgiving of mistakes.

It is shy and requires a soft substrate as well as fairly good hiding. Tubes and caves made so that it can turn around are advised, and they are light sensitive, so low lights ot light blocking plants are suggested.

Keep singly or in groups of 5+, because in less than 5+ groups, major aggression will come into play.
They also are not competitive feeders, and should be put in tanks with other slow feeding fish, such as peacock eels and senegals who are slow eaters or need to sniff out their food. They do send out electrical impulses, which don't tend to disturb fish usually, but it's not suggested to have them with other fish like black ghost knife fish who use the same sort. They are VERY sensitive to water quality, so much so that even water companies will use them as a guage of water purity.

Here's mine
This is with a peacock eel. there have not been any troubles between the two.
Finallyanothergoodone.jpg

I find holey rock okay, as he never actually comes down to rest upon it.
finallyagoodpic.jpg

my personal exp. shows me that they love heavy foilage more so than slate caves, but I have not been able to try tubing yet.

hi! i've bought myself one of these :) he's been called dumbo (not very orig i know.lol.) i'ts only abbout 3-4 inches long so a young one i think. now he's very shy and will only come out when my lights go out, now this is very unfortunate as they're lovely fish and i'd like to see more of him. so one of my questions is, do you think it would be a good idea (might this help) if i bought an led light to come on for a few hours(and whilest feeding) with low light levels so one might be able to watch him when feeding bloodworms(frozen) my second question is will he eat daphnia-whiteworms-blackworms and if yes are these easy to culture youself as i think having these would be better than the frozen stuff.. many thx all advice needed.

oh anyone who can help with my alge problem please post too...(sry to highjack your post) :) :) :)

unfortunately dumbo died yesterday, i think the water company might of added more chlorine to the water,think i might start ove medicating with dechlorinator as he seemed ok before the water change. i've changed the water a few times since we've had him (4)..routine is-- syphon water- add dechlorinator- turn of external filter-turn on air pump-add water unfortunately i have to add water straight from the tap-mixer tap so i can add a little warm warter, but if i try another one i will stop the warm water as its a copper tank+piping and add instead just cold water but add it in two parts so it has chance to warm a bit but not sure why he left us. was laying upside down and was unable to swim properly, was v hard to watch but was hope'n he would pull through so didn't want to euthanize him... (propa gutted) :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back