Elephant Nose Fish tankmates?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishmania06

Reaction score
i was wondering whether anyone could help me, i have had an elephant nose fish for about 2 month now and she is doing well but she is currently in a tank on her own. I was hoping to find a good tankmate for her and i was hoping a black ghost knife fish would be a good companion. Help please

How big is your tank?

Too small for a BGK then, I'm afraid. I don't know enough about elephant noses to suggest tankmates for it either, sorry.

Too small for a BGK then, I'm afraid. I don't know enough about elephant noses to suggest tankmates for it either, sorry.

Ahh i had a feeling that it would be considering they are both electrical fish, the only other tank mates i have found that are sutable are silver sharks, but they can grow quite large,

i have had those together before but I wouldnt call it success. It wasnt either of them. Ammonia killed the elephant nose. I was upset but my bgk is my favorite by far. I would get something else.

Elephant nose fish can live bichirs or any other fish for the most part, you dont want to put them with fast eating fish because they will steal all the food from the elephant nose fish. A school of 6 or more neon tetras would be fine they eat fast but due to their tiny mouths and bodies they dont steal much food and they school slowly. You can also put it with a african leaf fish as well. Really anything that eats slowly and wont harass the elephant nose fish and wont get harassed.
But with the size of your tank I wouldnt put to many fish, might wanna mix their adult sizes together and figure hat out relative to your tank. Rule usually is 1 inch adult fish for 1 gallon, you always need to follow this if you have good filtration and do lots of water changes.

i was wondering whether anyone could help me, i have had an elephant nose fish for about 2 month now and she is doing well but she is currently in a tank on her own. I was hoping to find a good tankmate for her and i was hoping a black ghost knife fish would be a good companion. Help please
Mine are doing fine together

They are inoffensive fish..can't really defend themselves so I would make sure tank mates are not fin nippers. Maybe a school of glass catfish would look good with them and also enjoy dim light. Or cooly loaches for color?....things like that.

Look at vids of Russell Tate for tankmayes of mormyrids. Kribensis easy to find..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back