Elegance Coral

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RRaquariums

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Alright so I went to petco today and against my better judgment I got an elegance coral that I knew very little about I had seen a few things on them but not much after getting it home I started to dig I it some research on them and come to find that they are way more difficult then I had originally thought.
So my question here is has anyone here had an elegance before and had it survive?
If so what would you suggest I do?
Here is a pic of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 115
They are very finicky. I had one, but it was not a long-term success. It grew tremendously from the tiny frag it was when I got it, and it seemed really healthy and hardy for the year or so that I had it, but then a Vermetid snail burrowed between the flesh and skeleton and caused it to separate in one place - something I didn't even know had happened until the damage was done. With many other corals, that sort of intrusion would lead to at worst losing a polyp or the coral would just grow around it (it's actually quite common to find Vermetids embedded in large colonies of various corals), but elegance corals are notorious for separating from the skeleton at sites of irritation. That one gap then became a magnet for sand grains and other stuff, which irritated it more, so it widened over time and eventually there was total bailout. It died several months later despite forming the first inklings of a new skeleton on some clean aragonite substrate. They're the sort of coral where if something goes wrong, it can be very hard to stop it from snowballing into the end.

Yeah after doing some more research on them I took it back to petco and exchanges it for a very nice zoa colony but thanks for the info it is an interesting coral and I spent about three hours last night reading about lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back