Electrocuted Fish!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kate25

Reaction score
My heater broke this morning - the glass sheath shattered, and i think it may have electrocuted my fish. Only one neon tetra has died so far, but the others are all acting very strange and just sort of floating around the tank in the flow of the pump. They are all still breathing. Does anyone have any idea of the prognosis for the fish? Are they just stunned and likely to recover or should i prepare myself for the worst? Has this ever happened to anyone else before? Please help! :sad:

Bless them not sure what to do to be honest, I know it can cause bent spines.
Increase aeration for now.
What fish do you have in the tank thinking of salt for the stress.
How many gallons is the tank.

Bless them not sure what to do to be honest, I know it can cause bent spines.
Increase aeration for now.
What fish do you have in the tank thinking of salt for the stress.
How many gallons is the tank.

It is a 65 litre tank, I have an angel, 2 gouramis, 4 black widows and a sucker. My sucker seems unaffected.

Found this for you, the only thing to do is really just keep an eye on them to see if they come round.

http://www.aquahobby.com/tales/e_shock.php

Thanks! That makes me feel a bit better. :good:

Overstocked, the angels and black widow tetra need larger tanks about 25 gallons.
I would add with the sucker only one tablespoon of salt to the tank.
Mix in a jug in tank water till it disolves then add to the tank, household salt is fine.

Overstocked, the angels and black widow tetra need larger tanks about 25 gallons.
I would add with the sucker only one tablespoon of salt to the tank.
Mix in a jug in tank water till it disolves then add to the tank, household salt is fine.

OK will do that. thanks.

Good luck, hope they all pull through.
Did you get the glass out of the tank.
If no heater put a blanket over the tank to keep the heat in.

Good luck, hope they all pull through.
Did you get the glass out of the tank.
If no heater put a blanket over the tank to keep the heat in.

Yep, got all the glass out and managed to get a new heater already. just keeping fingers crossed for the fish now! thanks for your help.

Thats fine then.
Good luck.

This reminds me of other threads where we've talked about putting GFI/GFCI outlets in the walls where we plug in all of our aquarium stuff. Most DIY'ers can replace these themselves although you would have to turn off the main circuit breaker to that wall/room first. GFI/GFCI's would also protect us from getting electrocuted when we are working in and around the tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back