Electricity

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So while there were other personal reasons for my choice as well, there was definitely an element of "my genes aren't anything special, the planet is already overpopulated, and what world would we be leaving to them?" I feel bad for parents who have to think about that and raise children only to tell them about amazing creatures that used to live here, but can now only be seen on old videos.
Your genes are probably better for the planet than a lot of people's. At least you care about the place you live on, unlike the majority of bipedal humanoids here.

Your genes are probably better for the planet than a lot of people's. At least you care about the place you live on, unlike the majority of bipedal humanoids here.
Thank you, but eh, my genes aren't anything special!

Sadly, in the UK at least, it tends to be the dumb people who produce the most kids.... !

Got up this morning and the power was out. Finally came back on about two hours later. My aquariums and fish are fine. The weather has been hot this week so the temperature wasn't a concern but I got to thinking about how dependent we are on electricity. Everything runs on electricity. Also been seeing some things on the news and on 60 Minutes about the vulnerability of the power grid to nefarious acts. Texas had their power woes a couple winters ago and I'm starting to think about cool water still tanks . Either that or move into a cave.

Sorry if we took your thread wildly off topic (?) @Back in the fold !

The moving to a cave idea is sounding sorta appealing right about now! I read the Earth's Children's books when I was a kid, surely I could live like a cavewoman and live only on what I can hunt and gather! I'd kinda miss the internet though, not gonna lie. And my books. Books wouldn't like being stored in a cave.

Thank you, but eh, my genes aren't anything special!

Sadly, in the UK at least, it tends to be the dumb people who produce the most kids.... !
It's not just in the UK. All over the globe, morons are out populating smart people. Many years ago, a friend told me the stupid will inherit the Earth, just through sheer weight of numbers.

Governments all around the world are encouraging people to breed because "it's better for the economy", or "there is more chance of another Einstein appearing". Unfortunately, if you breed dumb with dumb, you get dumb. If governments were smart, they would have breeding programs for humans and only let the smart people breed. Having a population of morons doesn't help anyone.

Since the initial post was about power going out and concern about a tank one might consider getting a UPS (Uninterupted Power Supply). These usints are normally considered as battery backups for computers but can work just as well for a tank. I have my tank's filtration and heater connected to such a unit. If the power goes out the battery backup kicks in and filtration and heat is maintained.

We had a massive front come through last Tuesday. Power was down at my place for 18 hours ( others had their power out for much longer). We have a generator but it was reserved for the freezer and the fridge, especially with gas being as expensive as it is. I was worried my tanks were going to be toast, everyone did really well, even the more "delicate" fish. I only lost a few fry thankfully.

We had a massive front come through last Tuesday. Power was down at my place for 18 hours ( others had their power out for much longer). We have a generator but it was reserved for the freezer and the fridge, especially with gas being as expensive as it is. I was worried my tanks were going to be toast, everyone did really well, even the more "delicate" fish. I only lost a few fry thankfully.
Not to push the APC aspect but if one was in use you probably would have lost nothing. I'm using a fairly small UPC on my tank and would estimate that it would keep the heat and filtration going for at least a day, mayhaps longer as today's tanks are pretty low wattage. I do not have the tank's lights on the UPC as they are not essential.

Something people do is worry about the fish too much, especially beginners. Fish are tough and make it through bad conditions just fine most of the time.

Not to push the APC aspect but if one was in use you probably would have lost nothing. I'm using a fairly small UPC on my tank and would estimate that it would keep the heat and filtration going for at least a day, mayhaps longer as today's tanks are pretty low wattage. I do not have the tank's lights on the UPC as they are not essential.
I would have to purchase at least 7 as I have 10 tanks in all areas of my house (only 3 are in close proximity to one another). Might have to look into it for my 2 large tanks (150 and 180g). I try to keep my tanks 70-80% stocked with exception to fry tanks so I think that helped. I am looking into battery powered bubblers also just to keep some water movement.

Electricity prices souring everywhere too of course, cannot believe how high our electricity bill has gotten, and makes me feel really bad about having tanks. Has made me lean even harder towards less filters (I used to run two on each tank) and relying more on heavy planting and water changes. I added airstones to my two tanks running at the moment because of the heatwave we had, since the cories were dashing to the surface for air more often, but each time I plug something else in, I feel guilty and worry about the bill that will come. Considering moving to just sponge filters, for filtration and oxygenation.
Just a heads up because you are in the uk. I recently received my renewal from British Gas which was £170 a month

I rang them up and proclaimed that I could not afford that whatsoever

They asked how much I could afford. I said ££100 a month at most

They lowered the rates on the plan so that I’m only paying £100 a month when it rolls over

It’ll depend who you get on customer service but try your luck

Like they say up here in the north, shy bairns get nowt!

Just a heads up because you are in the uk. I recently received my renewal from British Gas which was £170 a month

I rang them up and proclaimed that I could not afford that whatsoever

They asked how much I could afford. I said ££100 a month at most

They lowered the rates on the plan so that I’m only paying £100 a month when it rolls over

It’ll depend who you get on customer service but try your luck

Like they say up here in the north, shy bairns get nowt!
That's really helpful, thank you so much!

The worst they can say is no, right? But it didn't occur to me to try to haggle with big companies like that, but it makes sense.. we're rapidly approaching the point where many people in the UK literally cannot afford heating, hot water, electricity and gas. Never thought I'd see the day.
Thank you kindly for making the suggestion! I appreciate it and I'm totally going to try it! :D

That's really helpful, thank you so much!

The worst they can say is no, right? But it didn't occur to me to try to haggle with big companies like that, but it makes sense.. we're rapidly approaching the point where many people in the UK literally cannot afford heating, hot water, electricity and gas. Never thought I'd see the day.
Thank you kindly for making the suggestion! I appreciate it and I'm totally going to try it! :D
Give it a go and let me know :)

Yeah in the uk now it’s heat or eat for a lot of people which is very sad.

I’m not normally into this type of music but listen to ‘number 10’ by Alan walker if you can find it. It plays on an echo dot

It’s such a true song about the UK government, so much so that boris has removed it from all radio and most social media

Edit- song is number 10 by Tom Walker

Last edited:
same deal for most of Australia too now.
It’s a sad world we live in.

Gas and electricity companies are generating the energy at one of the lowest prices ever, but selling it at the highest price ever

Aslong as the big league businessmen pockets are lined, the rest of us can suffer

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back