Electric yellow tank mates

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishguy13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, I was just wondering what I could put with electric yellow in a 48 gallon (182 litres) tank. I was thinking electric yellows and bn pleco so far. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

You could add most Mbuna/Malawi cichlids like blue dolphins or rusty cichlids. Just some ideas and make sure you have a 1 male- 2 female ratio. I would recommend 11-15. You could also add an African featherfin squeaker (I love my one) it May Pick on the pleco but if it has hiding spots it should be all good. Or you could have some loaches like yoyos or striatas.

Last edited:
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

--------------------
Electric yellow cichlids are from Lake Malawi in Africa. They require hard alkaline water with a GH above 300ppm and a Ph above 7.6.

Plecostomus come from the Amazon in South America and require soft water a GH below 150ppm and a pH around 6.5-7.4.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

--------------------
Electric yellow cichlids are from Lake Malawi in Africa. They require hard alkaline water with a GH above 300ppm and a Ph above 7.6.

Plecostomus come from the Amazon in South America and require soft water a GH below 150ppm and a pH around 6.5-7.4.
My concern is more that these cichlids are more harassing of plecos, but that just my opinion

My concern is more that these cichlids are more harassing of plecos, but that just my opinion
Bullying is definitely a cause of stress but water parameters and tank dimensions will cause more stress in the long run :)

Hello, I was just wondering what I could put with electric yellow in a 48 gallon (182 litres) tank. I was thinking electric yellows and bn pleco so far. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I always had problems keeping catfishes with my cichlid tanks until I got synodontis petricola catfish more commonly known as the leopard catfish maximum size is about 4 and 1/2 in. Here's a picture of my almost seven year old pair still going strong and now in a community tank.

They are very awesome looking catfishes a type of upside down catfish. I also had a King tiger pleco with my cichlids which is also almost 7 years old and the cichlids never bothered it at all this is a very cool looking pleco but it's very hard to find it can cost 25 to $35.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200211-182339.png
    Screenshot_20200211-182339.png
    515.1 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_20200211-182729.png
    Screenshot_20200211-182729.png
    532.2 KB · Views: 135
Bullying is definitely a cause of stress but water parameters and tank dimensions will cause more stress in the long run :)
Normally I’d agree, but I’ve heard of Mbuna attacking the eyes of plecos. I think plecos can be pretty good in hard water even though it’s not as natural.

I had a friend who keeps bristlenose with electric yellows and other mbunas and I don't think he has had any problems with it.

My Ph is about 8.2 but i can easily change it.... I have been thinking about peacocks with electric yellows and rusty cichlids.... don't know if all that will work in my tank I also really like the the look of auratus cichlid but can not find any info on it.

Melanochromis auratus are extremely aggressive and should not be kept with electic yellow or peacock cichlid.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back