Electric Blue Rams - Not feeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MarvinUK

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my aquarium for 3-4 months and not had any issues until I introduced a Molly to my tank as I felt sorry for it in the pet store as it was on its own. After owning it for a week I could see why as it was constantly attacking my two rams, so I gave it to a friend who had larger fish and its okay, but my rams a not the same. The have become quiet lethargic and not eating (well one had some food last night but not much). They have both become a lot darker in colour. I've done a 3rd water change even though the conditions of the water where in ideal parameters according to chemical strip I use. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 84
What are your water parameters? How often do you clean the filter, tank, and substrate?

In particular, how hard is the water and what is the temperature of the tank? Rams are soft water fish which need a higher temperature than most tropical fish.

I agree with Phoenix and Essjay.
Please check those points that they asked.

Anyway, assuming that your water parameter is good with zero ammonia and nitrite, water temperature at 28C and having soft water, then the possible cause could be internal parasites or worms.

For internal parasites, you will need Metronidazole medications or API General cure which contains both Metronidazole and Praziquantel.

For internal worms, you will need another medications such as Wormer Plus which contains Flubendazole.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, I went and rechecked my water and for some reason it has changes in that the nitrates have gone high, so yesterday I did a 1/3 water change and checked the parameters again this morning and they haven't moved?? I did lower the temps to 25 the other day (not sure why) but I've moved them back to 28. I've attached my current water parameters.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.png
    IMG_0086.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 92
Is the nitrite reading really 2.0? Any level for nitrite above zero is harmful for fish. If it really is that high you need to do another water change asap, and again whenever it read above zero.
Your test kit does not include ammonia - if there is a reading for nitrite, you need to check ammonia as well.
Nitrate at 50 ppm is way too high. It needs to be kept below 20 ppm. Can you test your tap water, please. We need to know if the nitrate is coming from your tap water or is being made in the tank. The UK allows up to 50 ppm in tap water.

You say the results are the same after you did a water change then tested again this morning - this suggests either inaccurate readings or the nitrite and nitrate levels went up again overnight.
After 3 months, the tank should be cycled though it is possible that something has happened to damage the bacteria colonies. What filter media do you have, and have you changed any recently?
Are there any live plants in the tank?

The best thing you can do now is a 75% water change then test again after half an hour (to let the new water mix in thoroughly. It would be useful if you also test your tap water to see what the nitrate level is. If nitrite is still the same half an hour after a very large water change, I would suspect the strips. Liquid testers are more reliable and they also include ammonia.

I agree with @essjay. I didn't realize that your Nitrite was at 2.0ppm. Its supposed to be at 0ppm at all times. Preform a large water change immediately.

Hi,

I've just tested the water from the tap is 0 NO2 and 18 NO3.

About 3 weeks ago I had to change my filter as it dies so went for a canister type and I checked the reading for 2 weeks after and it was fine. Yes its planted and they seem to be doing okay.

I've got an old NO2 test kit from tetras, but that shows it less than .3mg/l but not sure if there is a use by date on the test kit.

I'm going to do the 75 change to be save and pop to the pet store to get a different test kit as well.

Thanks

Hi,

I've just tested the water from the tap is 0 NO2 and 18 NO3.

About 3 weeks ago I had to change my filter as it dies so went for a canister type and I checked the reading for 2 weeks after and it was fine. Yes its planted and they seem to be doing okay.

I've got an old NO2 test kit from tetras, but that shows it less than .3mg/l but not sure if there is a use by date on the test kit.

I'm going to do the 75 change to be save and pop to the pet store to get a different test kit as well.

Thanks

Molly could also be picking on your Rams, mollys are a hard water fish meaning GH and rams are soft water 7dgh is too high for rams.and warm water fish. 82 degrees at least which is way too warm for mollies that like it closer to 76.
Mollies are also pretty active eaters and though they have up turned mouths they will still pick food off the floor where rams which are earth eaters exclusively feed.
What are you feeding Rams, they do better with a sinking pellet for cichlids. The mollies will steal these from the rams. If just flakes in my experience rams dont like or do well on flakes they need more protein as they are cichlids.
Id rehome the molly the water requirements for RAMs and mollies are on opposite ends as mollies also do well with some salt in the water as they can live in brackish conditions and Rams dont like any salt.
As for the rest the nitrates and nitrites i agree. Should have zero nitrite if not something has compromised the biological filter. Nitrates can be lowered with plants if added water is high in nitrates id suggest mixing with RO water to dilute nitrates and do weekly water changes and lots of fast growing plants to limit high nitrates.

Okay not sure what to do, I did a 75% change and the values when to 40 No3 and 1 for No2. I got up this morning and tested the water ant is back to 50/2. Not sure whats going wrong. On the good news side one of the blues are looking alot better and is more active, there other doesnt seem to have changed that much

Last edited:
Okay running out of Ideas.. I did another water changed and cleaned the filters (really didn't need cleaning) and after a few hour a did a water check and the levels where 20 No3 and 0.5 No2. I check this morning and they where back up to 40 No3 and 2 No2???? Can fertiliser increase nitrates, just I put a couple of capsules under my plants and that that and the new filter are the only things I've changed.

What are the ingredients of the fertiliser? If it contains nitrate, that will explain the nitrate increase.

The new filter - did you use the old media when you got the new one? If you didn't the tank is cycling. You may also have ammonia in the water, though the cycle could well have gone past the ammonia stage by now and be in the nitrite stage.
The only way to cope with a tank that is cycling with fish in is to test the tank water every day for ammonia and nitrite and do a water change whenever either show above zero. The water change should be big enough to reduce the levels to zero.
You do have a number of live plants so in theory they should be removing all the ammonia amde by the fish, and since plants don't turn it into nitrite there shouldn't be any nitrite in the water. Unless the tank is very overstocked and the plants can't cope?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back