Electric blue rams acting weird!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
50 gallon tank and its cycled ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 pH just below 7
I'm going to guess then that its 2 males trying to test boundaries with each other.

Btw im not a beginner i have been fish keeping for just over 2 years and i am a research freak and need to do as much research i can lol
Same as me man. I'm relatively new but ive been researching for sooo long after I messed up the first time... I'm cycling a 20H now and all the research ive done is overwhelming but needed.

Same as me man. I'm relatively new but ive been researching for sooo long after I messed up the first time... I'm cycling a 20H now and all the research ive done is overwhelming but needed.
Exactly the same here i was given bad advice when i was a newbie and my whole tank wiped out but now I’ve done all the research i can for all the fish i have and planning to get. I am now a researchaholic lol

I'm going to guess then that its 2 males trying to test boundaries with each other.
Yh they aren’t doing it constantly and most of the time they are swimming together it was only the one time now they are back swimming together lol and its always the smaller one going up to the big one and starting. The smaller one used to swim with its fins down but now the fins are always spiked up lol

Exactly the same here i was given bad advice when i was a newbie and my whole tank wiped out but now I’ve done all the research i can for all the fish i have and planning to get. I am now a researchaholic lol
Lol... My first tank was a 3.5G tank with 1 betta and 1 snail... I did sooo much research but missed cycling... Yah, common knoledge to me now but then if you said cycle I wouldve been like: "what?" In a month my fish got ich and fin rot and when I saw him dead he was bulging, suggesting an internal bacterial infection... That tank did not turn out well... Now, I have high hopes I know what I need to!

Yh they aren’t doing it constantly and most of the time they are swimming together it was only the one time now they are back swimming together lol and its always the smaller one going up to the big one and starting. The smaller one used to swim with its fins down but now the fins are always spiked up lol
I do not know how to tell German blue ram gender, but its most likely that they both are males trying to be dominant.

Lol... My first tank was a 3.5G tank with 1 betta and 1 snail... I did sooo much research but missed cycling... Yah, common knoledge to me now but then if you said cycle I wouldve been like: "what?" In a month my fish got ich and fin rot and when I saw him dead he was bulging, suggesting an internal bacterial infection... That tank did not turn out well... Now, I have high hopes I know what I need to!
I got a betta at the time I didn’t know about cycling only using water conditioner and i set the tank up and got him the next day. I don’t know how he survived but he’s still going strong to this day! My first real loss was when i got a second bigger tank and i let it cycled and done water tests until all the water parameters was good and it took nearly 2 months whilst using Dr Tims Ammonia and i bought 20 neons, a pair of dwarf gouramis, 6 black skirt tetras, 6 columbian tetras and a pair of Bolivian rams. The tank was fine for 2 months then out of no where my neons were getting ich and every hour they were dying and the next day all 20 neons were gone and 3 black skirts died, i managed to save tue rest but i put them in a quarantine tank and treated them and tore down the big tank and left it empty for 2 months then i started again and everything been good and no troubles with water parameters or illnesses im now officially enjoying the hobby!

I got a betta at the time I didn’t know about cycling only using water conditioner and i set the tank up and got him the next day. I don’t know how he survived but he’s still going strong to this day! My first real loss was when i got a second bigger tank and i let it cycled and done water tests until all the water parameters was good and it took nearly 2 months whilst using Dr Tims Ammonia and i bought 20 neons, a pair of dwarf gouramis, 6 black skirt tetras, 6 columbian tetras and a pair of Bolivian rams. The tank was fine for 2 months then out of no where my neons were getting ich and every hour they were dying and the next day all 20 neons were gone and 3 black skirts died, i managed to save tue rest but i put them in a quarantine tank and treated them and tore down the big tank and left it empty for 2 months then i started again and everything been good and no troubles with water parameters or illnesses im now officially enjoying the hobby!
Do you remember the tank size?

First, from the photo of the two fish head-to-head I would agree they are probably a male (left) and female (right). The description of their interactions supports this. But I don't insist.

Second, it is highly unlikely they are both male. They would not tolerate each other if males, one would be dominant and one submissive to the point of hiding, avoiding the other at all cost, at least after the first few skirmishes.

However, this is not a guarantee of success. This species has to select its mate, and bond. A male will not always accept any female put in the tank; sometimes they do, but often not. So far they seem to get along, so maybe you lucked out. Time and only time will tell. If the store where you purchased them had a knowledgeable person netting them out, who could read and understand their interactive behaviours, you may have really lucked out and acquired a bonded pair. Having said that, though, it is not uncommon for a bonded pair to suddenly divorce weeks or months from now.

First, from the photo of the two fish head-to-head I would agree they are probably a male (left) and female (right). The description of their interactions supports this. But I don't insist.

Second, it is highly unlikely they are both male. They would not tolerate each other if males, one would be dominant and one submissive to the point of hiding, avoiding the other at all cost, at least after the first few skirmishes.

However, this is not a guarantee of success. This species has to select its mate, and bond. A male will not always accept any female put in the tank; sometimes they do, but often not. So far they seem to get along, so maybe you lucked out. Time and only time will tell. If the store where you purchased them had a knowledgeable person netting them out, who could read and understand their interactive behaviours, you may have really lucked out and acquired a bonded pair. Having said that, though, it is not uncommon for a bonded pair to suddenly divorce weeks or months from now.
so sad... a fish divorce

I'm dealing with this right now with my two electric blue rams in quarantine. All the same "dancing" and postering as mentioned above. They both have seemed fine, today the smaller of the two fish has been laying low...not sure if it's due to bullying or if it's a female and she is about to lay eggs or something

I'm dealing with this right now with my two electric blue rams in quarantine. All the same "dancing" and postering as mentioned above. They both have seemed fine, today the smaller of the two fish has been laying low...not sure if it's due to bullying or if it's a female and she is about to lay eggs or something
When I had Rams they didn't show the typical cichlid behavior of tussling with each other. When they interacted it was always a prelude to spawning. Other than then they ignored each other.

Yup, I knew something wasn't right...got back from taking my son to his piano lesson and I found the ram dead buried in some moss under a rock. He/she took a quick turn as they both seemed fine as of last night.

Yup, I knew something wasn't right...got back from taking my son to his piano lesson and I found the ram dead buried in some moss under a rock. He/she took a quick turn as they both seemed fine as of last night.

Exactly what I expected, sorry to say. I had it myself. The remaining male (it is probably the male) on his own is best, as introducing a female (even if you could determine gender) is not likely to work. It is in the nature of the species.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back