Electric Blue Ram Help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jebbwardo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am currently in process of cycling my tank and was going to get electric blue rams and breed them but was looking into it and seems really hard just to get the water right I know the ph doesn't really matter aslong as its stable and in low 7's or 6's what I don't get is how I know if my water is soft and how do I keep my nitrate down it comes out the tap at 25ppm and I think that quite high for electric blue rams! Just need some help if its gonna be impossible for me what would you advise as a good fish to breed a colourful one.

i recommend kribensis to breed, very easy to breed and colourful.

Well i would say dont get them until you are 100% done with cycling ive never kept rams my self but to lower nirates you could get a couple of low light plants. I mean a couple will definatly help but you are going to need ti stuff the tank with plants to really keep the nirates at zero. Alot of water changes should also do the trick for lowering nirates.
Ahh i just relized your tap water has .25.. Sorry about that :p well like the poster below me said plants should do the trick

I believe rams are not quite what you would call a beginner fish. Neither the care for the fish themselves or breeding would be 'easy' for the uninitiated...

How about apistos instead? They're hardier than rams and some are lovely and colourful!

25ppm is just about an acceptable level for a lot of fish, however, the addition of lots of live plants will very naturally reduce nitrate levels since, in your case, water changes isn't the answer.

You can get a measure for the soft/hardness of your water a gh test.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back