Electric blue ram female with ich? Want to medicate fast.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dprids

Reaction score
I got this new electric blue ram 2 days ago. she started showing spots and resting tail on plants. I am going to petsmart to get meds stat. This is ich, right? Any other thoughts? I dont want her to die.

Attachments

• 20200926_085610.jpg
    20200926_085610.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20200926_085613.jpg
    20200926_085613.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 20200926_085615.jpg
    20200926_085615.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200926_085622.jpg
    20200926_085622.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 77
I have another ram in tank. coreys, xray tetra, ottos, guppies, 2 rams. The rest are fine, just new fish. Got them from very good fish store...

My fish store doesn't open till noon, or I would go there. But I want to treat the entire tank promptly.

Heat is the best method for dealing with ich as the meds are strong and do affect fish.

First do a big water change and substrate clean (as much as possible with plants). This is to remove any ich 'cysts' on the bottom of the tank. Refill with water a bit warmer than usual and turn the heater up to get the water to 86 deg F or slightly over. Leave the temperature there for 2 weeks, or a week after the spots disappear whichever is later. You may find that the other fish in the tank start showing spots in a day or two, it is important that you wait a week after the last spots disappear even if it takes longer than 2 weeks.
Once you are sure the ich has gone, turn the heater down and let the temperature drop slowly.

Ok, I turned up my heaters. I am going to go slow with temperature rise a bit. Its rock solid at 80 degF right now. She (the electric blue ram) is swimming and eating. I checked all my parameters and they look OK, but I did a 10% water change and put in a standard dose of that API stress coat. In my head, the aloe vera seems like it would help her scales?

Are you recommending NOT medicating? I have a buddy (who knows a lot more about fish than I do) coming over at noon with some meds. Will see what he thinks... I hope she is OK.

Yes, I am recommending not to use medications.

As long as the temperature is at or slightly above 86 deg F, that is a lot safer for fish than medication. That's the temperature on a thermometer, not the heater setting. The ram should cope with that no problem as they need warmer water - around 80 to 82 deg F.

Are there any other fish in the tank?

Don’t medicate. I had a terrible outbreak. I tried everything. The only thing that worked was 86F, aquarium salt, and food soaked in Garlic Guard. Ich hates all 3. Be patient. It can take several weeks. :)

Don’t medicate. I had a terrible outbreak. I tried everything. The only thing that worked was 86F, aquarium salt, and food soaked in Garlic Guard. Ich hates all 3. Be patient. It can take several weeks. :)
Salt, Garlic and warm water, just add some fish, rice and vegetables and you have a nice meal :)

----------------------
For the OP, you need to get the water temperature up to 30C/ 86F asap. The parasites breed faster in warm water but die when it gets too hot. Right now your warm water is allowing the parasites to grow faster but not be killed. Raise the temp to 86F asap.

Salt, Garlic and warm water, just add some fish, rice and vegetables and you have a nice meal :)

----------------------
For the OP, you need to get the water temperature up to 30C/ 86F asap. The parasites breed faster in warm water but die when it gets too hot. Right now your warm water is allowing the parasites to grow faster but not be killed. Raise the temp to 86F asap.
I've heard good things about this places ram....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back