Electric blue acara tank mates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lira

Reaction score
I have a 40 gallon breeder tank and would like to stock it with one EBA and a small group of 3 inch vibrant fish. Congo tetra? Rainbow fish? Suggestions?&*

First problem is the tank size. The Congo Tetra and Rainbowfish are shoaling/schooling species so they need a group, and we now know that this means in the 10+ numbers of the species. Ten Congo Tetra would in my view be inadvisable in a 40g breeder which is 36 inches/90cm in length. As for rainbowfish, it depends upon the species, but some are just as large as the Congo, and some of the smaller sized species are somewhat "delicate" so to speak, and the large 8-9 inch Acara would be an issue.

Most smaller fish will be shoaling/schooling so the tank size will play into this for some of them.

have you ever seen full grown diamond tetras? they are quite stunning in my opinion, reach about 2-2.5 inches and i think you could have a group of them in a 40 gal with your acara...

this is what mine all look like:

Screenshot 2023-02-05 135619.png

but there seems to be a long fin variant that is quite beautiful! i wish i could find these...

1675627030118.png

Could a small group of mollies or platies (6ish) live with one eba in the 40 gal breeder?

First problem is the tank size. The Congo Tetra and Rainbowfish are shoaling/schooling species so they need a group, and we now know that this means in the 10+ numbers of the species. Ten Congo Tetra would in my view be inadvisable in a 40g breeder which is 36 inches/90cm in length. As for rainbowfish, it depends upon the species, but some are just as large as the Congo, and some of the smaller sized species are somewhat "delicate" so to speak, and the large 8-9 inch Acara would be an issue.

Most smaller fish will be shoaling/schooling so the tank size will play into this for some of them.
I thought the eba was 6-7 inches.

I thought the eba was 6-7 inches.

Yes, sorry, that as a slip, they are said to get 6-8 inches.

The Diamond Tetras mentioned by another member above are worth considering. A group of 10-12. Livebearers have been mentioned, which reminds me, we have not asked for the GH and pH. Livebearers must have harder water than the tetras and similar, the cichlid is sort of in the middle, depending upon the numbers. If you don't already know them, the parameters (GH, pH here) should be on your water authority's website. I'd like comments from the cichlid members though, I am a bit worried about these combinations.

I have a 40 gallon breeder tank and would like to stock it with one EBA and a small group of 3 inch vibrant fish. Congo tetra? Rainbow fish? Suggestions?&*
i would add bristlenose what ph do blue acaras like

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back