Electric Blue Acara Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I currently have 3 EBAs in a grow out tank. One is around 30-40% larger than the other two and keeps chasing the smaller EBAs around the tank. Could I possibly have one male and two females? The two smaller ones get along just fine.

Also, if I need to get my larger EBA out and place him in my 75 gallon would my congo tetras be okay with their potential new tank mate? I currently have 12 congo tetras.

Thoughts?

you could have 3 males and the dominant one is bullying the smaller males

congo tetras should be fine with blue acaras

Agreed.

Acara normally aren't all that aggressive. On paper, I'd feel comfortable adding those acara together. As you have seen first hand it doesn't always work.

Cichlids are also far less aggressive towards other non cichlid fish.....unless they are bite sized. Your congo tetras will be just fine.

The congo tetras are slightly larger than the EBA. I actually wanted to only raise 1 EBA and sell the other two to a LFS. I'm assuming its super hard to sex EBA when they are this young?

Agreed.

Acara normally aren't all that aggressive. On paper, I'd feel comfortable adding those acara together. As you have seen first hand it doesn't always work.

Cichlids are also far less aggressive towards other non cichlid fish.....unless they are bite sized. Your congo tetras will be just fine.
Also, why add the acaras together?

Also, why add the acaras together?

Well, that's up to you. If you wanted to keep them together it is good on paper. When mixing cichlids, you want to keep them with other tankmates of similar size and aggression. What better way to keep them with their own kind? Of course there is exceptions like if 2 pair up and individual personality.

What size tanks are you working with?

Well, that's up to you. If you wanted to keep them together it is good on paper. When mixing cichlids, you want to keep them with other tankmates of similar size and aggression. What better way to keep them with their own kind? Of course there is exceptions like if 2 pair up and individual personality.

What size tanks are you working with?

Congos are in a 75g.

48 x 20 x 20

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back