Electric Beening Turn Off For Repairs For 7 Half Hours

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bbbls108

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi everyone, i have rang the electric company which they where competely useless. any advice would be very gratefull,i dont have a generator should i hire one? i have five tanks in my outerhouse my fish are the tropical fish.(cories ,platties,endlers,swordtails).many many thanks sue

if you've time to prepare then 7 hrs shouldn't be a problem.

depending on where in the world you are and your climate you will need to keep the tanks warm/cool, please let us know where in the world you are and we can give some tips for which is appropriate.

you also need to keep the tank oxygenated, you can do this simply and manually, just get your arm in the tank and move it around (gently, don't wanna get a whirlpool going on) but just keep the water moving a bit every hr or so.

your filter bacteria will still live but you can keep them fed and the water clean by simply taking the top off your filter and jugs of water out from the tank and pouring them through your filter :good:

hi thanks miss wriggle i am in the england,warwickshire.big thank you for your advice sue

ok well teh weather over here is a bit changeable at the moment so you could find it's too hot or too cold, so prepare yourself for either of them.

if it's too hot then the key thing to remember is to get air into the water, the higher temps mean the water can hold less oxygen for the fish. So keep the water moving which will get air into it. you can also get pop bottles and fill them up with cold water and float these in the tank to cool it down. keep the lids open so water can evaporate

if it's too cold then wrap the tanks in warm blankets, you can do the same trick with pop bottles but with warm water.

also just keep the room as close to ideal temp for the tanks as you can, this will affect the temp of the tanks the most

hi miss wriggle i will keep a close eye on the temp fingers cross it shouldnt be too much of a problem as i was first thought.electric going off tomorrow morning.i will let u know if it all works out :good: regards sue

No probs, good luck

one thing to watch out for, if the temp does drop you must bring it back up slowly. so turn your heaters off before the electric comes back on, then when it does check the temp of the tanks, put the heater to 1oC above it and leave them at that for an hr, then move then up 1oC more and leave it for an hr, so on until it gets to normal temp.

hi miss wiggle the electric was only off for 1hour and half.many thanks for your advice.many regards sue

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back