Ehiem Aquaball

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

The-Lion

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
After reading the review of the Ehiem Aquaball 2212 in Practical fish keeping magazine I brought one to replace Tetratec internal filter I had backing up the main filter in my small tank. Any way liked it, so I brought a couple more & now I have one in all my tanks.
So far Iā€™ve only used the sponge filter media they came with but now I am considering using Ehiem Ehfisubstrat pro & Ehfimech in a couple of the baskets. Does anybody on here use an Aquaball? + do they use the media Iā€™ve mentioned? & is worth it?

I have a few Eheim aquaballs, ive found them to be very good with smaller fish and a far superior alternative to other internals like the Fluval 1-4s. I just use the foam media supplied in them but i do use the efi substrat pro in all my canister filters and find it to be excellent, i wouldnt consider any other media for biological filtration.

can i hi-jack this a little? tough, gonna try anyway.

im buying a 2210 to replace the dodgy fluval. also looking to get the eheim pro 2224 for my 4ft external, but then thought about running two 2210's?

pros:

two filters, one fails, at least still ot some filtering going.
MUCH MUCH cheaper to buy
allows me to play with current a bit more.

cons:

more expensive to run the two internals than one external.
a bigger pain in the ass for filter maintenance
takes up tank room
visible in the tank.

any thoughts on what you would go for?

I would probably go with an external filter for a large tank I only use my aquaballā€™s as back up to the main filter, if you where to choose the two internals then yes they do take up space however the green colour of the Aquaball does allow it to blend in better with a planted tank, although never completely hidden they far less an eyesore than many internals & much easier to maintain.

i,ve being looking at these on ebay and am considering buying these but what do you do with them cos it say that you can have them lying around your tank or place in the filter, say bit stupid there but what i mean is can you just use these instead of your filter sponges or do you use them both together

i,ve being looking at these on ebay and am considering buying these but what do you do with them cos it say that you can have them lying around your tank or place in the filter, say bit stupid there but what i mean is can you just use these instead of your filter sponges or do you use them both together

Iā€™m gonna replace the sponge media with this media in the bottom two baskets in each of my Aquaball 2212ā€™s Ehfimech in bottom basket & Ehfi substrate pro in the next leaving the other basket as they are.

a nice mix of filter media there, and probably the best way to filter your tanks.

You would eventually replace your existing filter with the eheim aquaball shaunza2010, unless your tank deemed it so too run both to get adequate filtering.

I have yet to see a filter better than eheim in any category.

Have you a link to some info about the aquaball shaunza2010 please as searches are not coming up with any thing. Iā€™ll probably stick with the aquaball 2212ā€™s as I mention above these are secondry filters in all but one tank where it is the only filter, the tanks are doing well on them but I will consider other filters for future tanks if they prove better.

well i made up my mind.

Ordered a aquaball 2210 for my 20 gallon and a Professional 2224 special edition (includes intake bar and output spray bar and all media) for my new 47 gallon (and hopefully will have done enough homers over the next few weekends to get the lighting system for it, thats costing a fortune)

Cost just under Ā£100 but i got free P&P :D

Most reactions

trending

Back