EHFISUBSTRAT verses carbon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jimboid

Reaction score
Hello another question for all those fish experts out there.

I currently using an Ehiem wet and dry filter which contains only EHFISUBSTRAT filter media.

Where do people stand on filter media? is this stuff effective?

Would i be better off with the hula hoop type media in one tray and maybe carbon in another.

Also how often are you meant to replace the EHFISUBSTRAT as mine has been in there for quite a while now.

just interested to find out what others use and what works best.

Cheers

James

I know you mAy have mentioned what type of set up. fresh or salt ?

For salt water this media works well. It will also workin fresh as far as the bacteria goes. but, IMO / IME the carbon is alot better for a fresh water set up.

You could continue too use the same filter but if using tank for fresh water you may want to add alittle carbon. Depending on the style / set up on the filter you should be able to add the carbon and leave the other media which works really good for the colonized bacteria.

Also keep in mind that NOT asll carbon is the same. Soime brands are way better than others and you could see the diff. within a few days. Good carbon keeps tanks crystal clear and removes that fishie smell in the tank.

The cheaper carbons will do the same but alot less carbon for your dollar and the quality is not the same.

whisper
penguin
magnum
dimond
aquarium pharm.

all these I have used and found they do a good job and are worth the money.

Hope my 2 cents helps. I will gather more info on carbon brands also and post later on. Got alot to reply to.. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Danny

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back