Eheim Classic Vs Rena Xp1/xp2 Vs Aqueon Internal Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gabriel.mihu

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

1. bedroom -  20 gallon tank, 10 inches of fish in it, moderate planted, 7W LED lights, Aqueon 30 internal filter (142gph), water parameters (ph 7.5, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates < 20).
2. living room - 36 gallon tank, about 30" fish in it, LED lights, two HoB filters (just to keep the water clean - I had only the original Aqueon on it, but the filter pads have almost no carbon in them; since I mounted the second smaller topfin filter, with lots of carbon in a DIY filter, the water comes close to "clear" state) Aqueon powerflow 30 (200 gph) + Topfin power filter 20 (100gph).

The tank is in my master bedroom, so it needs to be silent. Originally it had the HOB TopFin filter, which we (me and my wife) could not stand. I bought the Aqueon filter and suspended inside the tank with rubber bands. If you haven't seen this setup working yet, you don't know what silent means - late at night, one cannot hear a sound (talking about the motor humming) from it. The only way one can tell it's running is by the water flow or by getting withing inches from the tank, at night.

Hanging the filter to the tank wall (the internal filter) produced the well known motor humming - not a way to go.

What I don't like about it is that I have to clean it every 7-10 days and that's why I would like a canister.

I looked all over the internet for advice and opinions on canisters, and I kind of have my eye on Eheim classic 2213 and Rena XP1 or XP2. I am also looking for future use for my main 36 gallon tank - but for this one I would probably need something smaller than 12" in height - considering this, the XP1 would be the only solution, unless I can put the Eheim at a 45 degree angle to fit under the tank.

I studied, watched movies, read documentation, I just don't want to throw money out the window if I can't improve anything.

Questions:
1. do I need more filtering power in my 36g tank, or a canister? - the Aqueon filter clogs up a little and water keeps overflowing after a few days; I can see a 2213 canister is recommended for a max 66 gallon tank, with only 115 gph advertised. Rena XP1 advertises 250gph flow/140gph with media. Right now I have 300gph total advertised from the two HoB filters.
2. considering low noise, 20 gallon (medium planted)/36 gallon (heavily planted), 1 inch fish/gallon, which filter would you recommend? (a new one, or keep the internal diy "noiseless" and clean it every two weeks?)

Thanks for reading :)

I saw some users cleaning their internal filter only when the water flow drops down (maybe once a month or once in 2-3 months...). Is that something I should do and not bother about a canister for the bedroom tank? It still bothers me seeing that internal filter hanging there, but that's the only way its humming sound disappears.

If you go down the external route i think you will end up insulating the cupboard you keep it in to keep it quiet enough.

Well, I consulted some more resources, asked around and it seems a filter, as it clogs up a little, filters better the small particles in the water. Also I was advised by multiple sources to keep the internal filter for up to 4 weeks without maintenance. Right now it's been running for 12 days, and it's the first time I have crystal clear water in the small tank. It seems that a bit less maintenance returns better results, at least for now.

Conclusion: no filter change for the moment on the bedroom tank - I'll keep the internal filter for now.

For the big tank, I still have to figure out how to fit a canister in a 12.5x12.5 inch cube :) (the interior of the stand). All usable canisters seem to be a bit higher than that.

1. Eheim is the king of canisters. Rena would be an acceptable second choice. My opinion.
2. AuqaClears are pretty quiet hang ons- I have about 25 in use.
3. Internal filters take up space in a tank and look ugly.
4. Except for canisters, I clean all my filer media weekly and replace the filter floss at the same time.

Canisters filters are as much about media volume as flow rate. The former is as, if not more, important. I ran my high tech planted 50 gal. tank for over a decade with an Eheim Pro II 2026 (no longer made) which has a max flow rate of 251 gph and is rated for tanks up to 93 gals. It has an internal capacity of 1. gals. I ran my co2 directly into the filter which doubled as my co2 diffiuser.

I have owned the 2213 in the past and i loved it. It filtered very well and had a ton of room. Extremely silent. Only sold it because I sold the tank. On my two 40 gallons I run an eheim 2222 on each. Again silent and no issues. 

On the Rena, Ill never own another. The pipe pieces are too brittle and it is nowhere near as silent as an Eheim. 

Well, everything points out to Eheim. Rena seemed to have more media room, but I guess if I go with a canister, Eheim will be it. I believe a 2213 should work on a 36g tank and I would also be able to do some microfiltration with it.

Thank you, guys! Your advice is much appreciated!

TwoTankAmin said:
1. Eheim is the king of canisters. Rena would be an acceptable second choice. My opinion.
can not reiterate this enough,
i have an ehiem classic 350
upgraded the impellor. (ran silent anyway but i was bored)
silent and water is crystal :)

nortonmad213 said:
silent and water is crystal
smile.png

Well, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back