Eggs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

InaneCathode

Fishaholic
Reaction score
First off, sorry to everyone, i haven't been posting or reading to tff as much as i should :\ life intervenes sometimes...

Anyway, i've got a good question for you all:
I have a 10 gallon FW pretty heavily planted tank (2 dwarf onions, lizard tail ivy, masses of javamoss (help its taking over!), several java ferns, and two corkscrew vallis (i think thats what it is, small corkscrew shaped green grass). I'm currently housing one betta (yes he's still alive, his name is Sammy Davis) and 4 cory cats (somewhat dissapointed, i've kept the gravel as clean as i can and some mysterious fin/whisker rot has taken 3 from me over time). Sammy eats wardley betta food, and the cats eat hikiri sinking wafers (they seem to love the stuff :D).
Things have been status quo the last week or two (one of the cories died about 2 weeks ago :(, same fin/whisker rot) and i just performed a water change, probably 2 days ago.
I noticed this morning though, a cluster of 6 clearish/whitish small spheres (about a millimeter in diameter) and several spots where it looks like they were on the glass up near the top left in the flow of the HOB filter.
I can't remember where i read it, but i read a breeding journal of cory cats and seem to remember thats how they laid eggs, stuck to the glass. (hows that work anyway, my cories don't float that well, and dont cruise the glass that high, especially in flow of the filter)

Are these eggs do you think? If they are, how can i tell if they're viable? Also, if they are viable, how might one go about raising them :D i'd like to have a few more cories you know :eek:

Anyway, thanks for reading, look forward to your advice :D

PS Sorry again for being MIA for so long...

Sounds like they might be eggs. they will hatch if viable in 2-3 days from now. What I did was remove them carefully by placing a cup or net under them and using a razzzor to carefully remove the eggs. Those that don't stick to the blade fell into the cup. Then I put the eggs into a breeder net set near the filter outflow for aeration. I now have over 24 little "kittens". about 5 weeks old. :lol:

If the eggs are in a jelly like substance they are snail eggs.

With the cory issue, they are suffering from a bacterial infection in their barbels/whiskers. Gravel substrate is not ideal for corys regardless of how clean its kept, it makes it pretty imposible for them to perform natural feeding behaviour (filtering sand under a special gill plate adaption thing to look for food)- if the gravel is at all rough or sharp, then this will be causing the infections in particular in their barbels/whiskers. Personally i'd advise you change the substrate to a sand one as the corys will do much better on it :good: .

Hmm, since i left this morning the eggs have either fallen off or been eaten by the betta (eggs perfectly betta bite sized). Regardless i'll keep the collection method you mentioned in mind. Is there any particular reason why they'd lay eggs now of all times? Only thing i can think of is the recent water change (water wasnt any warmer or colder by a degree or two) and gravel vaccing.
To be honest i wouldnt mind having kittens, so is there anything i should be doing to increase breeding behaviour/raise kittens/feed kittens etc?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back